Senior Engineering Manager, Applied Science
Venmo, Austin TX Chicago, IL
Simple and fun way to send and receive money between friends
At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world. Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our capacities and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Product Intelligence team
Imagine what you could do here. Venmo is the fastest growing peer-to-peer financial brand and keeps innovating in the tech industry. We are seeking an experienced Senior Engineering Manager – Applied Science, who has a solid background in applied machine learning and a genuine passion for building data-driven products. You possess the ability to communicate data insights and scientific vision and you have a proven track record of leading both applied scientists and software engineers to execute complex projects and deliver business impact.
In this role, you will have an opportunity to lead the development of machine learning algorithms using large datasets. You will lead the delivery and the operation of large scale applications running on cloud services. You will have the opportunity to take full ownership of the design and implementation of highly reliable, scalable and high-performance products.
- Professional 8+ years of industry and academic experience in machine learning and data science involving search optimization, ranking, personalization, recommendation, automation, social graph, NLP.
- 3+ years experience managing teams that have successfully productized machine learning models.
- Strong fundamentals of data structures, algorithms and design patterns, familiarity with statistics and mathematical analysis.
- Familiarity with data exploration, feature engineering, model building, performance evaluation and online testing.
- Ability to understand cutting-edge scientific models and adapt them for PayPal/Venmo’s needs.
- Comfortable in working in an ambiguous, fast-paced and high-growth dynamic environment.
Excellent written and verbal communication to drive plans and outcomes with diverse and cross-functional team leads on a regular basis
Venmo was founded in 2009 by two former college roommates who wanted a better way to pay each other back. What started off as a simple SMS platform to send and receive money has evolved into a social payments app allowing people to split bills, pay each other back for rent, and make purchases at approved merchants - all the while making these life stories more fun and less awkward. Venmo is owned by PayPal.
At Venmo, we're working to build a payment experience that's simple, delightful, and connected. Fueled by an abundance of snacks, locally sourced cold brew, and each other, our team solves exciting new challenges every day. Venmo's mission is to change people's relationships with money and each other. And it's working - people love using Venmo but we're not done yet. We want the magic of sending money with Venmo to be in every place you use it. There's still much more to do!
Want to learn more about Venmo? Visit Venmo's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.