Senior Software Engineer
StoryBlocks, Arlington, VA
Our mission is to provide creative content that everyone can afford.
We are looking for a software engineer to join our team of developers and help design and build our increasingly complex architecture. You will work on a team of top-notch engineers responsible for supporting the tech behind our current and future web properties. If you are looking for a place where, on any given day, you could be architecting Docker containers for a production environment, tuning Elasticsearch for an optimized search algorithm, deploying auto-scaling servers in AWS, writing new features in PHP/MySQL and Node js/Mongo, soldering servo drivers for your latest hackathon project, or problem-solving with marketing and analytics to troubleshoot the latest data anomaly, then this is the place for you!
- Develop features within Agile/Scrum environment for our core products and supporting technologies
- Practice test-driven development with regular participation in code reviews and design reviews
- Come up with fun projects for our regular hackathons
- Communicate directly with our Product, Marketing, Sales, Customer Service, Finance, and Content teams regularly to refine requirements and develop features
- Be a team player! Be honest, give regular constructive feedback, come up with team activities, etc. Help the team grow and help Storyblocks grow you
- 2+ years of professional software development experience
- Proficient in any structured and object-oriented programming languages (we're language agnostic), relational databases, or NoSQL databases
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve and develop large-scale software products
- Communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to collaborate with people at all levels across functions
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related technical field, or a suitable technical certification
Storyblocks does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
StoryBlocks (formerly VideoBlocks) was founded in 2009, with one mission: to provide premium creative content that we can all afford. While still in high school our founder Joel Holland and fellow students started a small TV show that focused on helping kids figure out what they wanted to do with their lives. They interviewed over 150 awesome career professionals for the show, and while the interviews contained extremely powerful advice, the production value of the show was lacking, because they had no budget. In one specific instance, Joel had just interviewed superstar Arnold Schwarzenegger – which was extremely exciting. They had this awesome footage of his advice for teens and they weren’t able to make the video look professional since it was cost prohibitive to purchase b-roll, music, professional graphics or other stock media. So Joel decided to start a company that would make stock video affordable to everyone, regardless of budget.
After high school, Joel pooled his savings and purchased some professional video equipment. He then hit the road for one year, traveling to over 30 US cities shooting video, editing in the hotel room, and selling the clips so that he could afford to purchase the next plane ticket and hotel room. Fast forward eight years and StoryBlocks now has over 35 employees.
StoryBlocks now makes it affordable for video editors and enthusiasts of all kinds to afford stock video and production music, not just those who have large budgets. We are proud that we enable thousands of schools to enhance their curriculum with our content; we enable thousands of churches to make their services more engaging; we make it affordable for tens of thousands of freelancers to increase the quality of their productions without breaking the bank; and we make it possible for thousands more to simply learn and enjoy video editing with some assistance from our content.
We have since become the largest distributor of stock video with over 23 million downloads and are excited to continue building StoryBlocks into a truly amazing company that makes a positive impact on the lives of our customers and employees. Our goal is to become the first place that content creators go to when working on a creative project.
Want to learn more about StoryBlocks? Visit StoryBlocks's website.
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineer: Front-end
Postmates, San Francisco
Clover, New York City
Technical Delivery Manager
Android Developer, Team Lead
Top Hat, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Senior Software Engineer
General Assembly, New York, NY
Senior Computer Vision Engineer
Magic Leap, Inc., Culver City, CA