Backend Engineer, Playback
Vimeo, New York, NY
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos
The Playback team’s mission is to make the best online viewing experience in existence. We’re a scrappy crew, but we compete with global mega-corps to deliver the highest quality and most consistent playback thousands of times per second, across any device, anywhere around the world. Sound fun? Cool. Come help us do it.
What you'll do:
- Within the first 30 days you’ll have a clear understanding our video playback architecture.
- By the end of 6 months you will have made contributions to the codebase that help optimize our video playback infrastructure. Tasks such as improving CDN selection logic, moving services to the cloud, and improving visibility into playback performance.
- Day to day you’ll maintain and and create new services between both the cloud and datacenter environments. You’ll work closely with the transcoding team, data team, and external CDN vendors to maintain and optimize a seamless video playback experience everywhere.
Skills and knowledge you should possess:
- General DevOps skills including server provisioning, containerization, and system maintenance
- Strong knowledge of at least one cloud provider (GCS preferred)
- Solid understanding of CDN architectures
- 2+ years’ experience coding in Go. Python also good, but Go preferred. Bonus points if you can also program in C
- Strong foundation with Linux internals
- Deep understanding with benchmarking and profiling
- Well-versed in object-oriented programming (OOP)
- Experience with streaming video and/or audio
- Strong portfolio or public code (Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
Vimeo empowers video creators to tell exceptional stories and connect with their audiences and communities. Home to more than 60 million members in over 150 countries, Vimeo is the world’s largest ad-free open video platform and provides powerful tools to host, share and sell videos in the highest quality possible. Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC). Learn more at www.vimeo.com.
Vimeo is the quality, open video platform for creative people around the world. Vimeo was founded in 2004 by filmmakers who wanted a fun, easy, uncluttered way to share their work and moments from their lives. We remain true to that mission by continually striving to help people with a wide range of passions share the things they create and care about. In everything we build for creators and their audiences, our goal is simple: make life worth watching.