Site Reliability Engineer
Vimeo, New York, NY
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll work closely with other SREs and developers to ensure Vimeo remains available and fast. You'll build infrastructure tools, manage production changes, design alerts, and work with developers to ensure new systems are scalable, predictable, and reliable. You’ll be instrumental in building the best video streaming experience on the 'net.
What you'll do:
- In your first 30 days, you'll understand Vimeo's web serving stack and monitoring systems. You'll identify deficiencies in these systems or the tools associated with them, and work with the rest of the team to update them.
- In your first 90 days, you'll overhaul existing systems or set up new ones to increase our availability, or strengthen our automation. You'll identify architectural deficiencies in our infrastructure and work with other SREs to address them. You'll probably make changes that touch all of our production machines, or every request we handle.
- By the end of your first year, you'll be the expert on at least one piece of our infrastructure, and you'll collaborate with other SREs and development teams to design scalable, resilient services.
- Day-to-day, you'll retrofit existing systems, and work on longer-term projects to overhaul critical infrastructure. You'll build tools that get used by all of Vimeo engineering. You'll maintain alerts, troubleshoot and triage issues with our hardware, software, and network. You'll take part in a 24x7 on-call rotation.
What we're expecting:
- 4+ years of experience with Linux
- Experience programming with at least one of: Python, Go, Ruby, PHP, or Bash.
- Experience with configuration management (including tools like Chef, Puppet, Ansible, or others)
- Experience managing high-throughput, high-availability systems
- Knowledge of networking protocols, including familiarity with TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL, and DNS
- Knowledge of monitoring systems and strategies for writing useful alerts.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with Linux containerization technologies
- Experience with cluster managers like Mesos, Kubernetes, or Nomad
Vimeo empowers video creators to tell exceptional stories and connect with their audiences and communities. Home to more than 60 million members in over 150 countries, Vimeo is the world’s largest ad-free open video platform and provides powerful tools to host, share and sell videos in the highest quality possible. Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC). Learn more at www.vimeo.com.
Vimeo is the quality, open video platform for creative people around the world. Vimeo was founded in 2004 by filmmakers who wanted a fun, easy, uncluttered way to share their work and moments from their lives. We remain true to that mission by continually striving to help people with a wide range of passions share the things they create and care about. In everything we build for creators and their audiences, our goal is simple: make life worth watching.