Video Transcoding Engineer
Vimeo, New York, NY
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos
The Vimeo Transcoding and Delivery Team is responsible for critical components related to low-level processing of video, audio, and images. We build and maintain systems for converting uploaded videos to formats optimized for network delivery, on-the-fly container format packaging during delivery, audio & video metadata analysis, thumbnail image upload and on-the-fly conversion, subtitles and captions upload and conversion, live video transcoding, and more... We are a small team that is dedicated to high quality, high performance, and attention to detail.
What you'll do:
- Within the first 30 days, you'll familiarize yourself with our existing pipelines - video transcoding, video delivery, and image processing. Learning Go may be part of your first 30 days, depending on your experience with it. By the end of your first couple weeks, you'll be working on a smaller project like frame rate conversions
- By your 90th day, you'll be knee-deep in our transcoding project. You'll help complete the architectural outline, and you'll be coding out components.
- Within 6 months, you'll be a regular contributor towards our efforts regarding live video, VR, parallel transcoding, and other next-gen projects.
- Long term, we're moving toward less dependence on our web application by building a standalone system for the full video pipeline. This will allow the team to focus on implementing many more cutting-edge and forward-thinking features for the backend systems with less dependency on full product integration.
- We actively contribute to open source projects such as FFmpeg, FFMS2, and L-SMASH. We also open-source internal tools and libraries when we deem them generally useful outside of Vimeo.
Working experience you should have:
- Codec-level development - H.264, HEVC, VP9, or related
- Audio and video pipeline development
- C or C++
- Computer science fundamentals (networking, operating system concepts)
- One or more higher-level languages such as Go, Python, or Java
- Experience with different video delivery methods (DASH, HLS, Progressive, etc...)
- Capable of writing consistent, readable, and maintainable code independently of any framework or 3rd-party library
- Awareness of current video trends such as HDR, Live, VR, and 360 Video
- Strong portfolio or public code (Github, Bitbucket, etc...)
- Passion around continuous education, research, and development around the latest multimedia technologies.
- Creative thinker who can take traditional software development practices and pull from them the aspects that will work best for Vimeo
Candidates that meet many but not all of the skill requirements are still encouraged to apply!
Vimeo empowers video creators to tell exceptional stories and connect with their audiences and communities. Home to more than 60 million members in over 150 countries, Vimeo is the world’s largest ad-free open video platform and provides powerful tools to host, share and sell videos in the highest quality possible. Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IAC). Learn more at www.vimeo.com.
Vimeo is the quality, open video platform for creative people around the world. Vimeo was founded in 2004 by filmmakers who wanted a fun, easy, uncluttered way to share their work and moments from their lives. We remain true to that mission by continually striving to help people with a wide range of passions share the things they create and care about. In everything we build for creators and their audiences, our goal is simple: make life worth watching.
Want to learn more about Vimeo? Visit https://vimeo.com/
Jobs You May Like
Director, Firmware Engineering
Tile, San Mateo, CA
Software Engineer: Global Engineering
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Senior Manufacturing Engineer
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Software Engineer, API
Pinterest, San Francisco
Software Engineer, iOS Accessibility
Airbnb, San Francisco, California
Sr. Software Engineer (Rails/React) - Operations Technology
thredUP, Vernon Hills, IL