Engineer II, Site Reliability
Vimeo, New York, NY
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you’ll work closely with other SREs and developers to ensure Vimeo remains available, fast, and secure. We own the core infrastructure on which most Vimeo apps sit, including system configuration, basic network services, container orchestration, metrics collection, and load balancing. We're building tools that are used by all of engineering to manage production, with the goal of providing a consistent and powerful platform. You'll be instrumental in making Vimeo the best toolset for video creators.
What you'll do:
- With the rest of the SRE team, own the base production infrastructure: VM provisioning, configuration management, load balancing, access control, container orchestration, and the tools we use to interact with all that stuff.
- Build tools to make our infrastructure more consistent, more reliable, more observable, and require less manual intervention.
- Consult with other engineering teams at Vimeo to improve their reliability and operational processes.
- Manage changes to our production environment.
- Take part in a 12x7 on-call rotation (split with our team in Bangalore), to triage and troubleshoot production issues.
Skills and knowledge you should possess:
- 4+ years of experience with Linux systems engineering.
- Experience programming with at least one language Vimeo uses -- Python, Go, Ruby, or PHP -- and a desire to learn more. (The SRE team uses primarily Python and Go, with occasional shell scripts).
- Knowledge of fundamental networking protocols, such as TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL, and DNS, or of Linux system internals.
- An understanding of configuration management (we use Chef), or containerization toolsets (we use Docker).
- An understanding of large scale system design, monitoring, and operational practices.
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent practical system administration and programming experience.
- Experience with container orchestration technologies like Kubernetes, Mesos, or Nomad. (We use Kubernetes.)
- Experience with virtualization platforms, either on-prem or cloud-based.
- A track record of automating away your job.
- An appreciation of and enthusiasm for software engineering best practices, such as code review, testing, and continuous delivery.
Vimeo is the world’s leading all-in-one video software solution. Our platform enables any professional, team, and organization to unlock the power of video to create, collaborate and communicate. We proudly serve our growing community of over 200 million users — from creatives to entrepreneurs to the world’s largest companies.
Vimeo is headquartered in New York City with offices around the world. At Vimeo, we believe our impact is greatest when our workforce of over 650 passionate, dedicated people, represents our diverse and global community. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer where diversity, equity and inclusion is championed in how we build our products, develop our leaders, and strengthen our culture.
Learn more at www.vimeo.com
Learn more at www.vimeo.com/jobs
Vimeo is the quality, open video platform for creative people around the world. Vimeo was founded in 2004 by filmmakers who wanted a fun, easy, uncluttered way to share their work and moments from their lives. We remain true to that mission by continually striving to help people with a wide range of passions share the things they create and care about. In everything we build for creators and their audiences, our goal is simple: make life worth watching.
Want to learn more about Vimeo? Visit Vimeo's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.