Backend Engineer, Video Playback
Vimeo, New York, NY
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos
The backend element of our playback and delivery system is the core of what ensures Vimeo can deliver video content to anyone anywhere with the best quality of experience possible. If you’re passionate about the latest video technologies, have a strong eye for performant software development, and are a creative thinker who can inform engineering best practices, consider joining our team.
What you’ll do:
- Be part of a world class group of engineers who build Vimeo’s video playback and delivery solutions
- Work closely with Transcoding and Delivery teams and external CDN vendors to maintain and optimize a seamless video playback experience everywhere
- Evaluate and test new video delivery technologies and optimizations
Skills and knowledge you should possess:
- 2+ years of hands-on experience with large scale web application development
- Experience developing services at scale with Node.js, Python or Go
- Knowledge of video performance metrics with a proven history of making data driven decisions
- Passion around continuous education, research, and development around the latest video technologies
- Willing to work outside of textbook norms. Creative thinker who can take traditional software development practices and pull from them the aspects that will work best for Vimeo
- Top notch communication skills (written and verbal)
Bonus points (nice skills to have, but not needed):
- Experience with different video delivery methods (DASH, HLS, Progressive etc.).
- Consistently keeping up with CDN technology, deployment techniques and data driven development techniques
- Strong portfolio or public code (Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
Vimeo is the world’s leading all-in-one video software solution. Our platform enables any professional, team, and organization to unlock the power of video to create, collaborate and communicate. We proudly serve our growing community of over 200 million users — from creatives to entrepreneurs to the world’s largest companies.
Vimeo is headquartered in New York City with offices around the world. At Vimeo, we believe our impact is greatest when our workforce of passionate, dedicated people, represents our diverse and global community. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer where diversity, equity and inclusion is championed in how we build our products, develop our leaders, and strengthen our culture.
Vimeo is the quality, open video platform for creative people around the world. Vimeo was founded in 2004 by filmmakers who wanted a fun, easy, uncluttered way to share their work and moments from their lives. We remain true to that mission by continually striving to help people with a wide range of passions share the things they create and care about. In everything we build for creators and their audiences, our goal is simple: make life worth watching.
Want to learn more about Vimeo? Visit Vimeo's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.