Director, Performance Engineering, Open VisaNet
Location: Foster City, CA
Open VisaNet, is the Next Generation VisaNet, will push the envelope of building highly scalable, secure, cost effective and distributed application on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Open VisaNet is one of Visa's Key initiative that will help Visa support in-country processing solutions and provide Visa an opportunity to move away from Proprietary Mainframe type systems. It is built as a modern distributed architecture based on micro services with goals of five 9’s availability, fault tolerance, horizontal scalability and real time latency for largest scale transaction processing. Open VisaNet leverages state of the art Open Software technologies to achieve these goals on commodity hardware, such as Go, Scala, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, Aerospike, Elasticsearch etc. and involves collaboration with exceptional group of software engineers, systems performance engineers, security specialists, DevOps engineers, payment experts, infrastructure and solution architects.
Reporting to Senior Director of Open VisaNet Engineering, the Director of Performance Engineering will be responsible for developing and supporting critical infrastructure platform for the Open VisaNet solution. This role is a hands-on technology role. S/he will closely work with teams in multiple locations for developing and executing a shared strategic vision for a mission-critical high-volume low-latency platform that enables core Visa Payments processing.
• Accountable for creating application and infrastructure performance plans/models for a highly scalable, low-latency, highly-available and high-throughput payment processing system.
• Design and contribute to performance and resiliency testing and tuning of distributed components.
• Work with the architects and development team to ensure proper metrics instrumentation in software components, to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring
• Evaluate, develop, and execute load test tools to stress the limits of Visa’s most critical payment applications
• Understand and performance test the APIs, abstractions and integration patterns to solve challenging distributed computing problems
• Analyze performance and resiliency test results to fine tune component design and implementation
• Characterize end to end system performance from application to infrastructure to hardware
• Monitor application performance, optimize performance bottlenecks and usage to create an application capacity model
• Help optimizing system components such as CPU/Memory/Disk/Network & OS/Application software for maximum use of computer resources
• Lead the design and development of Performance best practices and influence non-functional requirements at early stages
• Work closely with application development teams to provide technical direction to improve application performance
• Ensuring proper documentation and internal publishing of design tradeoffs, code best practices and lessons learned
• Support in triaging and troubleshooting of performance degradation related incidents in production environment
• Champion ongoing capacity planning and disaster recovery exercises
• Lead and provide mentoring, coaching and guidance to talented technologists. Hire critical talent and develop new application infrastructure portfolio.
• Create an outstanding engineering culture of creativity and innovation embodying whatever it takes attitude with ownership and pride in work
• Work collaboratively across team boundaries to share common infrastructure and functional capabilities. Drive productivity through engineering fundamentals, building core frameworks and implement best practices.
Consult on a regular basis with leadership to align expectations and deliverables. Be aggressive and leverage resources to the fullest to work on multiple parallel initiatives and solutions.
- 12+ years of experience in Performance Engineering and Capacity Planning of highly available and scalable application infrastructures.
- Prior experience must include leadership role for mission-critical system applications supporting high transaction systems.
- Demonstrable experience supporting and enabling application infrastructure that supports high availability/resiliency. Must have demonstrated experience in building systems software preferably in domains that require high through-put and low-latency
- Technical hands on skills, ideally in multiple technology stacks for backend concurrent engineering, system software development and deployment on diverse platforms.
- Must be high impact individual with deep technology background and the ability to engage in high bandwidth conversations with engineers and executives alike.
- Team player and passionate for building a culture of innovation and flawless execution.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, recruit, grow and retain high-caliber talent at scale. Experienced organizing, running, supporting, and growing large technology organization.
- Must demonstrate longer-term strategic thinking and staying ahead of state-of-the-art curve in order to keep abreast with what’s possible technically, operationally and professionally.
- Capable of forming and advocating independent viewpoint. Demonstrate strong skills influencing, negotiating and communicating.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field. Master’s degree is a plus.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.