To ensure that Visa’s payment technology is truly available to everyone, everywhere requires the success of our key bank or merchant partners and internal business units. The Global Data Science group supports these partners by using our extraordinarily rich data set that spans more than 3 billion cards globally and captures more than 100 billion transactions in a single year.
Are you skilled at turning hard numbers into compelling stories and useful strategic insights? Do you solve complex data challenges with creative flair? Put those skills to work answering strategic questions for one of the world's most respected and innovative payments companies.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be responsible for helping to blueprint and deliver modelled attributes, data assets, and self-serve workflows that solve clients' business objectives. You will get the chance to leverage your business acumen and technical knowledge of big data and data mining techniques. Based on deep understanding and knowledge of big-data engineering techniques, you will develop and maintain data and tools to enable data scientists to draw fact based insights and build models This function is critical in building market-relevant client solutions and intellectual property for Visa.
- Work with manager and clients to fully understand business requirements and desired business outcomes
- Assist in scoping and designing analytic data assets, implementing modelled attributes and contributing to brainstorming sessions
- Build and maintain a robust data engineering process to develop and implement self-serve data and tools for Visa’s data scientists
- Perform other tasks on R&D, data governance, system infrastructure, analytics tool evaluation, and other cross team functions, on an as-needed basis
- Find opportunities to create, automate and scale repeatable analyses or build self-service tools for business users
- Execute data engineering projects ranging from small to large either individually or as part of a project team
- Ensure project delivery within timelines and budget requirements
- Provide coaching and mentoring to junior team members
2 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in production ETL pipelines, utilizing big data engineering techniques that enable statistical solutions to solve business problems
- Post graduate degree in Computer Science/ Engineering, Information Science or a related discipline with strong technical experiences highly desired
- Previous exposure to financial services, credit cards or merchant analytics is a plus, but not required
- Extensive experience with SQL and big data technologies (Hadoop, Python , Java, Spark, Hive etc.) tools for large scale data processing, data transformation and machine learning pipelines
- Experience with data visualization and business intelligence tools like Tableau, Microstrategy, or other programs highly desired
- Experience with SAS as a statistical package is preferred
- Familiarity or experience with data mining and statistical modeling (e.g., regression modeling, clustering techniques, decision trees, etc.) is preferred
The incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
The position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.