Visa is seeking a seasoned business and commercial/regulatory lawyer to join its growing legal team that supports Visa’s Global organization and the company’s operational functions. The position will report to a Vice-President within the Global Regulatory Affairs team and will provide legal support to various global Visa Legal teams, including Product, Regulatory Affairs and Corporate, with a focus on regulatory product and licensing advice, including managing and coordinating global regulatory reviews for new product initiatives and due diligence processes.
The role includes responsibility for supporting a variety of global consumer and business products, services, and operational functions, either as the lead attorney or as part of a small team of experienced counsel. The attorney will work closely other experienced counsel and compliance professionals, and regularly engage directly with mid- and senior-level business clients.
Applicants must be skilled at managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced and challenging, but highly rewarding, environment; have strong analytical, client counseling, and negotiation skills; have significant experience guiding and working directly with senior-level management; be self-motivated; and, most importantly, be an optimistic, curious, and collaborative team player.
Prior financial services and/or payments industry experience is strongly preferred.
Visa is looking for someone who will:
▪ Work closely with Visa regulatory, data privacy and product attorneys to monitor regulatory product trends and manage global regulatory reviews to support the Visa product attorney(s) as well as regional Visa counsel.
▪ Support global M&A attorneys in coordinating regulatory and licensing due diligence reviews.
▪ Work closely with Visa’s regional and local legal and business teams, and assist these teams in resolving regional and local issues, including to achieve consistency on approaches and issues by Visa worldwide
▪ Work closely with global business and technology teams, including senior management, to understand and achieve key business objectives and help them develop compelling product and service offerings
▪ Partner with the global product teams and product lawyers to support the launch and global expansion of new payments and processing initiatives
▪ Draft, negotiate and drive to completion, complex commercial agreements that achieve business objectives, and continue to support those business relationships once consummated
▪ Provide sophisticated and creative counseling and advice to mid and senior-level business and technology teams regarding product development, deployment, and associated commercial and contracting considerations
▪ Initiate and help drive process and efficiency improvements across the legal team
6-8 years of legal practice
Combination of in-house and top-tier law firm experience preferred, including experience covering regulatory matters. International experience a plus.
Strong academic credentials, including a J.D. degree (or international equivalent); admitted to practice law in the United States
Must be able to work independently and collaboratively, and engage directly with senior management with little or no supervision
Must be a practical and creative problem-solver with strong business acumen and work ethic
Must be able to manage and drive the legal and regulatory aspects of complex business initiatives, both in the U.S. and internationally across multiple time zones
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours
- This position requires no travel
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.