Technical Project Manager (Planning and Program Management)
Visa, Foster City CA, US
Everywhere you want to be
The Visa Technology Planning and Program Management team in the Operations and Infrastructure (O&I) group is looking for an experienced Program Manager to lead and direct large complex end-to-end IT initiatives. In this role you’ll lead initiatives at the heart of Visa’s growth strategy, be at the center of teams working to solve some of the most challenging growth, scale and resiliency problems, all while delivering new features, products and services to customers across the global payments and financial services marketplace.
You’ll work across the solution stack and technology domains (compute, storage, database, network, Middleware, etc.) interacting with the some of the best and brightest engineers, architects, and product leads pushing the boundaries of what’s achievable in delivering new and innovative payment solutions to the masses.
You’ll need a solid technical foundation of both depth and breadth to guide teams in planning, designing and delivering large-scale highly resilient platforms and services to our customers. Your passion for excellence coupled with uncompromising standards and a positive principle-centered approach to leadership will help lift the programs you lead to new levels of performance.
- End-to-end Program Management of multiple initiatives across Visa’s Technology and Product groups
- Work closely with Product Managers, Engineers and Architects to plan, design, develop and deliver hardware and software systems, platforms and solutions
- Bring a customer focused mindset with the ability to multi-task and manage conflicting priorities, see the big picture while paying attention to the details and navigate complex processes with ease in order to deliver program goals and objectives on time and within budget
- Responsible for managing and tracking program scope, schedule and budget while proactively mitigating risks that could impact milestones and deliverables
- Comfortable leading discussions and communicating regularly with senior leadership on program initiatives including around the development of road-maps that align strategic objectives with tactical technology and solution delivery plans.
- Lead initiatives from end-to-end while performing in a dynamic, often ambiguous environment that requires prioritizing and resolving competing time-sensitive requests in a calm and pleasant demeanor
Because you’ll be directing initiatives across Visa’s product lanes you’ll also need:
- Problem-solving skills with a strong technical proficiency and strategic thinking
- Ability to work across team boundaries to get things done
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills since a big part of the role is communicating and collaborating across Visa.
- Plan, execute and close programs according to Visa’s Program Planning Methodology
- Initiate and manage program artifacts including charter and funding package materials
- Maintain program level tracking and reporting of budgets and forecasts, including explanations of variances
- Provide leadership and oversight of program performance and ensure compliance with management and information security policies
- Prepare and present program briefings
- Work with virtual teams located in different time zones and with differing cultures
- Use abilities to positively influence customers and stakeholders, and properly manage divergent expectations
- Improve team processes that accelerate innovation, reduce costs, and/or improve quality
- Maintain excellent relationships across all touch points
- 10 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 8 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD or at least 3 years of work experience with a PhD)
- 5+ years leading projects involving 2 or more of the following areas:
- Product Reliability Engineering
- Applications Development
- Compute Capacity Planning or Performance Management
- Deployments involving Database (including Big Data), Middleware and Storage technologies
- Deployments of SOE Linux/Unix and/or Windows technologies
- Deployments of VMWare or other virtual computing technologies
- Delivering large tech refresh initiatives including Software (OS, DB, etc.) and Hardware platform upgrades across multiple environments, networks and data centers
- Deployments leveraging Hybrid and/or Private Cloud
- Deployments leveraging Artificial Intelligence (AI) solutions
- Technical Program Management experience with large complex IT systems hardware and/or software design, development, deployment and support initiatives operating in high availability (+5 nines) computing environments
- PMP or similar Program or Project Management Certification
- Experience with Agile frameworks including SCRUM, XP, Lean & Kanban
- Experience with MS Office Suite, Project, Clarity, Rally, Jira, SharePoint
- ITIL v3 Certification
- Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 5-10% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, reach with hands and arms, and bend or lift up to 25 pounds.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.