The Senior Director, Corporate Development and M&A will manage corporate development activities ranging from identifying, evaluating, and executing public and private company acquisitions, joint ventures, asset divestitures and restructurings, minority investments, and other strategic initiatives. The stronger candidate will benefit from payments industry familiarity and strategic thinking. This role will require a balance of leadership and support for all aspects of the transaction evaluation and execution, from idea generation through valuation, due diligence, negotiations/transaction structuring, discussion, approval, and integration planning, as appropriate. Leading candidates must have led multiple acquisition transactions from identification through closing, and have a firm understanding of a deal process. They also must have the appropriate temperament to actively drive the process forward, foresee potential impediments to progress or and anticipate how to best prepare for upcoming steps. They must be collaborative by nature, and adaptable to Visa practices, but consistently be looking for means to improve our practices.
· Actively investigate industry trends and specific opportunities for growth within Visa’s existing businesses or expansion into new areas; listen to a range of experiences to test and refine one’s thinking; form a persuasive point of view grounded in data and informed perspective of the payments market, and articulate this view effectively with a variety of stakeholders
· Partner with business teams on strategy development including identifying and prioritizing strategic gaps, evaluating build/buy/partner options, and collaborating on target selection criteria and recommendations
· Take ownership of deal recommendations, and outcomes, through active and engaged evaluation of opportunities, driving analyses to conclusive positions on whether identified issues impact or entirely impede the deal, structuring pragmatic solutions to problems, and engage in coordinated negotiations.
· Lead colleagues and team members to conduct rigorous analyses including valuation and business case modeling, incorporate well-grounded judgment, and balanced persuasiveness to provide detailed guidance and insight regarding target candidates
· Act as day-to-day leader on deal and lead many interactions with internal (product, regional or functional area counterparts) and external (prospective clients/partners/counterparties and third-party advisors) parties
· Articulate clear rationale and risks associated with proposed transactions through spoken and written communications with deal sponsors, functional leadership, and senior executives, taking into account Visa’s overall interests
· Make positive contributions in all of Visa’s M&A activities, including the development of fellow team members, CDMA group practices, and company culture. Develop working relationships grounded in trust, collaboration, respect, and open assistance especially of less experienced teammates
12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree; 10 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD); or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD
- MBA or relevant graduate degree from top-tier institution or similar academic / professional experience; technical background can be a plus
- 8-12+ years of total relevant work experience; 4-6 years of post-graduatepreferred candidate will have both experience in
o (1) top tier venture or private equity/investment banking/venture/private equity
o (2) strategy consulting/corporate development/product management with at least 4-6 years of post-graduate experience and significant M&A buy-side experience preferred
- Direct experience in M&A identification, negotiation, and execution; experience identifying, assessing, and constructively addressing deal issues related to legal, regulatory, accounting, and tax
- Strong leadership skills generating support and momentum among functional peers
- Combination of executive presence and pro-activeness to enable effective planning, preparation, organization, and deliver in what can often be tight timelines
- Enthusiastic work ethic, passion for learning, and acute professional curiosity; able to solve problems with balance of independence and well-solicited input
- Comfortable with a team-oriented and collaborative approach to achieving impact
- Prefer experience in and/or significant exposure to the financial services/payments industry and related ecosystem of players
- Strong analytical, modeling and valuation skills: substantial experience modeling business combinations and running valuation analyses
- Ability to structure and manage complex cross-enterprise projects and processes with a variety of personalities, with multiple stakeholders at both senior and junior levels
- Excellent presentation skills, including strong oral and writing capabilities; ability to clearly communicate compelling messages to senior managers and external partners
- Global or multi-national business experience on-the-ground preferred
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 0-40% of the time.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.