You may have noticed that payment has become a very active/hot area in the last several years. Given the strong demands and innovation, this will be a very exciting area in the next 5 to 10 years. VISA is clearly a very strong leader in the payment industry, and is in a fast pace of technology transformation. For a payment system to work well, advance technologies such as data platform, big data, data mining, machine learning, cloud, etc. are critical. In VISA, we have all of these. The Data Platform Department is in the center for many of these technologies and development.
The Data Platform team is a key component of Visa's Technology organization that provides an enriched and valuable ecosystem of data platform and data services that drive innovation for our partners and clients, within Visa and globally. Data is the most valuable asset in Visa. The Data
Platform Department is dedicated to develop advanced technology (e.g. Cloud, Machine Learning and Big Data), systems and services to make data secure, high quality, rich, fast, and easy to use, therefore enabling Visa the ability to leverage its data asset in an effective and timely manner to maximize technology/business development and differentiate Visa from others in the
payment industry. The department maintains tens of petabytes of data supporting over 100 services for various internal lines of business and external clients.
The Data as a Service (DaaS) Data Assets Group in the Data Platform Department develops techniques, platforms, systems, and services to ensure the data pipeline development and services are efficient, high quality, rich, and easy to use.
Visa is seeking a Software Development Sr. Director as the head of the DaaS Data Assets Group. In this role, you will build and grow a world-class team of software engineers to develop data related techniques, platforms, systems, and services end to end. You will initiate processes that allow your DaaS Data Assets team and other Data Platform teams to collaborate with local as well as global teams with a high degree of efficiency. You will empower and motivate individuals on innovation and execution. Your team needs to collaborate with Project Managers, Product Managers, architects, and SMEs across the company on high impact data related initiatives.
This position is based in Palo Alto, CA and reports to the Vice President of the Data as a Service (DaaS) Department. The ideal candidate will have very strong leadership on both technology side and people side with rich industrial experience in the big data and/or large scale software platform areas.
- High talents and performed team -- build, grow, and lead the DaaS Data Assets development group to develop end to end technical solutions while fostering innovation, leveraging new technologies, and strong customer centered service mindset.
- Develop strategies and roadmaps to meet business objectives with existing or emerging technologies in your area.
- Responsible for the overall development life cycle of the products and services in the DaaS Data Assets area.
- Apply creative thinking/approach to determine technical solutions that further business goals and align with corporate technology strategies, keeping in mind performance, reliability, scalability, usability, security, flexibility, and cost.
- Provide resource plans, budget tracking and forecasting. Manage the team to achieve target scope, schedule and cost objectives.
- Instill best practices for software development. Drive for engineering excellence including automation, quality, efficiency, and productivity. Provide technical guidance to the team including architecture, design, and code reviews.
- Project task prioritization, planning of projects and features, stakeholder management and tracking of external commitments.
- Operational Excellence: monitoring & operation of production services including understanding user experience and ensuring happy customers through collaborating with your product support team.
- Bachelor degree or higher in a technical field such as computer science and computer engineering.
- Experience demonstrating strong leadership, self-motivation, accountability, and team player.
- 10+ years of experience managing and leading development teams.
- 10+ years of hands on software development experience.
- Strong business and technical vision.
- Proven experience managing the software development of highly available enterprise level applications and platforms utilizing technologies such as Java, Spring, JSON, Rest, XML, relational databases, big data, Hadoop, etc.
- Technical background in data with deep understanding of issues in multiple areas such as data management, data analysis, query processing, distributed processing, high availability, statistical, data mining, machine learning and operational excellence of production systems.
- Strong at technical goal setting for a project with actionable success metrics. Good knowledge and experience on measuring a service from a user experience angle.
- Strong at identifying problems, solving complex problems with simple solutions.
- Think strategically. See patterns and relationships in information and events; clarify and simplify complex information; anticipate trends and possibilities that may lead to new business opportunities; consistently think and act “ahead of the curve;” anticipate and effectively respond with urgency to immediate opportunities; executes plans vigorously and with flexibility; operate proactively; identify and address long-term opportunities.
- Ability to represent technical and business issues and solutions to multiple levels internally and externally to support organizational plans.
- Ability to work in a complex organization to determine business and customer needs, providing the best solution to meet those needs.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional collaboration and partnership skills with the ability to work in a global environment and drive consensus in cross-functional teams.
- Personal characteristics include a natural intellectual curiosity, thrives in fast-paced environments, natural ability to form partnerships and collaborates well across a diverse work group.
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills. In particular, a demonstrated ability to effectively communicate technical and business issues and solutions to multiple organizational levels internally and externally.
- Strong customer centric mindset.
- Experience in data Platform as a Service (PaaS) and Data as a Service (DaaS) is strongly preferred.
- Payment industry experience is a plus
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.