Vice President, North America Controller
Visa, Foster City CA, US
Everywhere you want to be
The Regional Controller – North America (“Controller”) position has responsibility for ensuring the integrity and accuracy of the financial statements for Visa’s activities in the North America (NA) geographies, which include the United States and Canada. Financial reporting for which the Controller will be responsible includes, but is not limited to: (i) U.S. GAAP financial results included in Visa’s consolidated financial statements; (ii) various regulatory reports to the U.S. Federal Government and other agencies; and (iii) internal reports for management reporting purposes. While the Controller is not primarily responsible for the preparation of management reporting, they will need to work with other members of the Finance team to ensure the integrity of these reports under U.S. GAAP.
The Controller is also responsible for the overall health and effectives of the control environment in North America. This position will oversee all Controllership functions and will embed a culture of continuous process improvement to drive efficiency and future scalability, as well as maintain streamlined and effective internal controls. The role will require extensive interaction with various Finance groups including the FP&A, Tax, Finance Operations, Treasury and Regional Accounting teams to support the month-end close process and various other Controllership initiatives. This individual will establish themselves as a key business partner and provide technical and operational accounting and reporting guidance to the NA business units as well as cross-functional teams.
The role requires the ability to work in a complex and diverse, international and multi-currency environment and within a matrix management structure. The role is based in Foster City, CA, and reports to the Global Controller & Chief Accounting Officer. Travel within the NA region and to other Visa offices will be required.
- Ensure financial statements and reports, including (i) U.S. GAAP results for Visa Inc. consolidation and management reporting purposes, and (ii) regulatory reports, for the NA geographies are produced accurately and on a timely basis.
- Provide input to quarterly SEC footnote and other disclosure schedules to support Visa Inc’s quarterly and annual SEC filings.
- Provide oversight and execution of corporate accounting for global technology, marketing, and other corporate functions.
- Ensure that strong financial controls over financial accounting and reporting are in place and executing in the NA geographies.
- Ensure that Visa Inc. accounting policies and procedures are well understood and complied with in the NA geographies.
- Oversee the preparation of monthly balance sheet and income statement analytics and other procedures as part of the month-end close to ensure transactions have been properly captured. Review balance sheet account reconciliations to ensure proper SOX and internal controls are executing appropriately.
- Partner and coordinate with global peers (primarily the four other Regional Controllers) to constantly enhance and improve our key processes, systems, and tools. The Regional Controllers collectively are responsible for ensuring that systems and processes are consistent globally and appropriately robust to ensure accurate financial reporting. Constant enhancement and automation is also critical to drive the efficiency needed to manage rapidly expanding business activity.
- Partner with Tax to monitor legal entity transaction flows and ensure timely settlement of intercompany balances. Ensure timely reconciliation of intercompany and tax-related accounts.
- Provide subject matter expertise on US GAAP accounting & control guidance to the NA Finance and business.
- Work with the global accounting policy team to ensure compliance with technical and operational financial policies. Also, to implement new financial accounting policies and procedures within the NA geographies.
- Provide accounting support to help achieve the NA tax strategy, including set up of new legal entity structures and necessary transfer pricing activities.
- Manage and resolve internal and external audits for the NA geographies and lead remediation activities as required.
Financial & Organizational Scope
Direct Reports: 4 to 7
Total Department: 40 team members in Foster City, CA; Austin, TX and Toronto, Canada.
- Drive team performance to “Best in Class” standards by improving employee commitment and identifying single point of accountability.
- Instill a culture of continuous improvement in a methodical, pragmatic and expeditious manner including: automation of manual processes and controls and standardization of accounting/business processes.
- Develop effective succession planning, strategic resourcing and employee career opportunities.
- Lead global, cross-functional and cross-regional implementation of functional finance initiatives.
- Effectively stay abreast of Visa’s business and accounting areas of oversight and proactively advise senior management and cross-functional teams on accounting, reporting, system and process matters.
Reporting Relationships & Interactions
- Dual reports directly to the Global Controller & Chief Accounting Officer; and NA Chief Financial Officer.
- The Controller is earmarked as a near term successor to the Global Controller & Chief Accounting Officer.
- Establish strong relationships with Finance Operations, Tax, Treasury, Financial Planning & Analysis and Global Controllership teams to enable effective and efficient execution.
- 12 years of work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 10 years of experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters/MBA/JD/MD) or at least 8 years of work experience with a PhD
- Certifications: CPA / ACA / ACCA / CA
- Post qualification experience of managing a finance team in a commercial multi-national environment.
- 15+ years of progressively increasing accounting experience in a medium to large public accounting firm and multi-national company.
- Strong knowledge of Sarbanes Oxley financial control requirements and procedures.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with US GAAP.
- Ability to develop and leverage deep professional relationships with key leadership, in Finance and the business, across a wide international geography.
- Sound experience with managing internal and external audits.
- Understanding of international corporate taxation (including transfer pricing, permanent establishment and other common issues).
- Ability to work well under pressure, across different functional groups and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to think strategically and support business objectives while effectively balancing risk/reward trade-offs.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office applications and Oracle Financials.
- Knowledge of the payment industry is preferred but not essential.
- Strong interpersonal and influencing skills and ability to work effectively in a matrix management structure.
- Experience of managing a team and contributing to senior management decision making.
- High quality control standards.
- Self-directed and motivated.
- Strong prioritization skills and ability to manage issues to resolution.
- Strong US GAAP technical knowledge to apply Visa accounting policies in NA.
- Strong analytical skills to prepare and review fluctuation and forecast schedules, focusing on identification of on root cases for changes and key trends or issues.
- Proven leadership skills, with the ability to instigate and support change.
- Effective team management skills and experience of leading a large Finance team of qualified professionals remotely and across different time zones.
- Able to communicate and build cross-functional relationships; Work with all levels of personnel and interact with senior and executive management.
- Able to demonstrate significant influencing skills.
- Customer focused, driven and can lead by example.
- Actively participates in continuous improvement activities to exceed customer expectations and help promote a professional finance organization.
- This position requires the incumbent to travel for work up to 25% of the time.
- This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
Want to learn more about Visa? Visit Visa's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.