Cloud DevOps Engineer – Container Platform
Visa, Ashburn VA, US
Everywhere you want to be
IaaS Systems and Storage & Engineering (ISSE) team is part of the Operations & Infrastructure technology organization. Our vision, mission and purpose are summarized as following:
Vision - Deliver best-in-class Infrastructure on demand everywhere.
Mission - Engineer and build reliable and secure infrastructure for all type of workloads in Private/ Hybrid Cloud, utilizing open and innovative technologies at the right unit cost.
Purpose - increase innovation velocity of developers and reduce infrastructure maintenance overhead
These are the guiding principles for the important work we do every day and build toward the overall vision of Visa "The best way to pay and be paid for everyone, everywhere".
You will be part of a team of systems DevOps engineers/architects who adopt, integrate & engineer industry leading technologies and management solutions for the container platform; focus on Kubernetes, microservices architecture, and cloud technologies. You will assume the total ownership of the solutions we provide for our customers to ensure availability, performance, security, and reliability of the applications running on the container platform, which are critical to Visa’s success. As a team, we will do this all at global scale. Continual, iterative improvements in our process, technology, tools, and automation will be essential to meet those goals.
The ideal candidate is technology savvy with good knowledge of Linux operating systems, container, Kubernetes and Microservices architecture; proficient in programming/scripting in Golang, Python or Ansible; familiar with CI/CD for development and deployment; with experience working on opensource projects, contributing and committing the code. You will be working majority of the time coding in Golang, Python, and Ansible on automating infrastructure tasks.
- Design and implement agile innovative infrastructure solutions/infrastructure management solutions that take advantage of technology advances that allow cost reduction, standardization and commoditization
- Design, implement and integrate management solutions to effective manage private cloud implementation(Docker, Kubernetes) at Visa’s data centers across the globe, ensure reliability, elasticity and security
- Identify, evaluate, select and engineer highly reliable container scheduling and orchestration solutions that are extremely secure enabling Operations to manage environments simply and effectively, ensure on time, on budget, and quality delivery of shared container platform
- Collaborate with the team to evolve the containerization ecosystem, establish and mature standards and integration for infrastructure management domains - logging, monitoring, configuration management and orchestration. Identify and implement standard toolsets to reduce complexity and support operational goals for increasing automation across the enterprise
- Champion the adoption of open infrastructure management solutions that are fit for purpose yet forward the Visa goals to keep technology relevant
- Work closely with geographically distributed teams on technical challenges and process improvements
- Evangelize the cloud and container management platform standards and capabilities, gain insights of the workflows of Product Development, Engineering and Operations teams, ensure platform relevance and drive adoption, enable the application transformation from monolithic to microservices
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Electrical or other relevant engineering field
- 3 years of experience as DevOps engineer working on automating infrastructure tasks
- 2 years of experience managing production container ecosystems – Docker, Kubernetes, , Service Mesh (Istio or Linkerd), CNI(Calico, Cilium) and CSI drivers
- 1 year of experience in automating at least one public cloud deployments (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Extensive experience automating system tasks and infrastructure using a scripting language (Golang, and Python must have), with configuration management tools (Ansible), service registry and discovery tools (Consul and Vault, etcd), infrastructure orchestration tools (Ansible, and Terraform), and automated imaging tools (Packer)
- Experience using and optimizing monitoring and trending systems (Sysdig, Prometheus, Grafana), log aggregation systems (ELK, Splunk, Fluentd), and their agents.
- Deep understanding of the Software Development Life Cycle including Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipeline architecture (Jenkins, GitLab, Drone) including deployments into Kubernetes environments using tools such as Flux or Keel.
- Experience with developing microservice-based HTTP applications and servers
- Able to understand the security tools and best practices: CIS Benchmarking, OS hardening, vulnerability scanning, system auditing
- Experience performing full stack load testing in order to identify and address hardware, network, system, or application bottlenecks
- Networking experience both within Linux and with Cisco or Juniper network routers and switches
- Strong analytical skills, able to work independently to solve complex engineering problems. Make independent judgments/decisions within established guidelines
- Communicate well with others both verbally and in writing and be able to effectively interact with peers, management and other outside contacts
- The ability to gather and understand business requirements, translate them into technical/operational requirements
- High degree of initiative and sense of urgency, comfortable with ambiguity as needs change on a regular basis
- Self-confident, commands technical authority and respect at all levels
- Desire to be part of an incredible team. That means being someone the team can count on, who communicates honestly and respects others and their views, who adapts quickly to changing priorities, drives positive change, and is committed to giving 100%
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
Want to learn more about Visa? Visit Visa's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.