Capacity Planning Engineer - VM / Containers
Visa, Ashburn VA, US
Everywhere you want to be
The Capacity Planning team is responsible for planning and driving the implementation of Physical Server, Virtual Server (VM), Hadoop, and Kubernetes Container compute and storage capacity at Visa worldwide.
This role is an experienced capacity planner responsible for ensuring that adequate infrastructure is planned for, and implemented, to meet the needs of Visa’s fast growing and transforming IT and internal cloud environment.
- Develop, maintain, and present capacity plans for dedicated and virtual Linux and Windows servers on ESX and Hyper-V hypervisors, Hadoop clusters, and Kubernetes containers. Plans will serve quarterly purchase needs as well as annual financial planning.
- Create capacity models using historical trends and known future demand that will forecast future infrastructure needs and plan for what-if scenarios such as failover at various levels. Models will consider compute, memory and storage as well as I/O limitations.
- Engage with project teams on major initiatives to understand traffic volumes, workflows and hardware requirements to plan for adequate capacity.
- Use VMware VROPS, vCenter, SCVMM, Splunk, BMC TSCO, SCOM, SAS BI, SysDig, Ambari, Cloud Optimizer, Aptare and other capacity planning tools for server capacity planning analysis and evaluation.
- Use Tableau, Power BI, Excel, Power Point and other data analytics and presentation tools to show visual representations of metrics and relevant data.
- Ensure adequate capacity for all resources is maintained at the virtualized level as well as the physical level. Provide virtualized capacity planning visibility for multiple hypervisors such as VMware, and Hyper-V.
- Coordinate effectively with Engineering staff and other Capacity Planning staff to ensure adherence to standards and guidelines.
- Provide expert advice for assisting in the choice of server vendors and server configurations as well as for tool evaluation and purchase.
- Act as a 3rd level Technical support for Infrastructure related challenges.
- 5 years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 2 years of work experience with an Advanced degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 0 years of work experience with a PhD
- Experience in Capacity Planning, and the metrics underlying the discipline are necessary
- 7-10 years of work experience and a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering or 6 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 years of experience with a PhD.
- Industry experience in Open Systems Capacity Planning and Server Administration including a good background in managing and planning servers in both dedicated and virtualized environments
- Strong analytical skills as evidenced by college level mathematics training and on-the-job use of analytical mathematics
- Solid knowledge of the concepts of x86 virtualization are necessary for VMware and optional for Hyper-V and KVM, preferably with experience in a large environment spanning multiple datacenters and global regions.
- Knowledge of Hadoop and Kubernetes concepts, especially in regards to capacity planning.
- Knowledge of tools for capacity planning analysis and evaluation such as VMware VROPS, vCenter, SCVMM, Splunk, BMC TSCO, SCOM, SAS BI, SysDig, Ambari, Cloud Optimizer, and Aptare
Work Hours This position requires the incumbent to be available during core business hours.
Travel Requirements This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
EEO Statement Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
Want to learn more about Visa? Visit Visa's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.