Chief SW Engineer, Open VisaNet
Visa, Foster City CA, US
Everywhere you want to be
Visa is looking for a hands-on and versatile Chief Software Engineer for the Open VisaNet Technical Delivery team. This individual will act as one of the key technology leaders within the organization to provide oversight in building Open VisaNet, Visa's Next generation payment processing platform developed on Open Systems, that would fuel growth in electronic payments globally and drive financial inclusion in many parts of the world.
Open VisaNet, is the Next Generation VisaNet, will push the envelope of building highly scalable, secure, cost effective and distributed application on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Open VisaNet is one of Visa's Key initiatives that will help Visa support in-country processing solutions and provide Visa an opportunity to move away from Proprietary Mainframe type systems. It is built as a modern distributed architecture based on micro services with goals of five 9’s availability, fault tolerance, horizontal scalability and real time latency for largest scale transaction processing. Open VisaNet leverages state of the art Open Software technologies to achieve these goals on commodity hardware, such as Go, Scala, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark, Docker, Kubernetes, Aerospike, Elasticsearch etc. and involves collaboration with exceptional group of software engineers, systems performance engineers, security specialists, DevOps engineers, payment experts, infrastructure, and solution architects.
- Thought Leadership: Providing technical vision and roadmap for application delivery of Open VisaNet.
- Driving Change: Driving the change in technology to help the application excel. As a Chief engineer will be responsible for finding the right solution in pre-development phase or during the development phase of delivery cycle. In future establish the feedback loop from production to non-production environments. Leading the efforts for code review and design reviews. Champion delivery best practices.
- Sustain Quality: Building a sustainable framework for delivering quality product. This will involve reviewing and highlighting patterns which are sustainable for highly performant and secured distributed system, which can linearly scale to handle large volume.
- Build Reliability and Performance: Review design and code for reliability and performance. Identify KPI and ensure all releases meet the target KPI.
- Building scalable system: Ensure deliverables are scalable and design itself is scalable. Define boundaries of scalability.
- Champion Security best practices: Become a security champion by owning the responsibility of component security. Collaborate with Cyber security teams to implement and verify secure coding techniques.
- Mentoring and building next gen leaders: Build next generation of tech leads. Organize sessions for knowledge sharing. Building an environment for learning and adoption of right technologies. Be the influencer who breaks status quo and brings change to achieve challenging goals. The person should be a fast learner and must be aware of current trends in the industry.
- Leading POC Efforts: Lead discussions around choice of technology or process. Lead POC efforts for decisioning on the choice of right product for all business use-cases. Work with architects and operations teams on measuring and cost estimating the infrastructural needs for new projects and future enhancements.
- Drive Innovation: Pioneer innovative solutions or extend an existing solution to ensure the project needs to meet the wider goals of the strategy.
- Collaboration: Collaborate with internal and external teams to provide guidance to OVN delivery teams.
- Communication: Outstanding verbal, written, presentation, facilitation, and interaction skills, including ability to effectively communicate architectural issues and concepts to multiple organization levels and executive management.
- Champion agile best practices: Open VisaNet is a long-term architecture project, and it is evolving. To keep up with the pace of change the project requires the Chief Engineer to be a champion of agile practices.
• 12 or more years of work experience in software development with a bachelor’s degree or at least 10 years of work experience with a masters; or a minimum of 5 years of work experience with a PhD. Degrees in Computer Science or related fields
• Experience in design and development of large-scale information products and services with microservices architecture
• Extensive experience in real-time/near real-time application development based on microservices
• Extraordinary software engineering talent with deep expertise in parallel and concurrent programming and highly distributed application development
• Solid understanding of various Computer Science concepts, such as Automaton Theory, Operating Systems, Compilers, Network Programming, Data Structure, Algorithms, and Design patterns
• Extensive experience with application development with Java/GoLang/C/C++/Scala
• Experience in developing design for availability and resiliency, performance modelling, and capacity planning
• Experience of high volume near real time data processing
• Knowledge of DBMS architecture, experience on query development and best practices
• In-depth architectural knowledge of at least one NoSQL/Columnar database
• Experience in application development with NoSQL databases
• Experience with Kafka or any other queueing system
• Inquisitive, methodical, and analytical in testing applications, champion of behavior/test driven developments
• Experienced technology leader with a minimum of 15+ years of software development experience with minimum 8 to 10 years of experience in design and development of large-scale information products and services with microservices architecture
• Sound understanding of continuous integration, continuous delivery, DevSecOps model, infrastructure automation, monitoring, logging, auditing, and good knowledge of various deployment models
• Understand the Security requirements and standards and contemporary trends in Security risks as well as technologies
• Domain experience in payment technologies or any finance domain
• Experience with SAFe delivery framework
• In-depth experience in GoLang
• Experience in Cassandra/HBase/Aerospike
• Experience in Kafka
• Experience with any key/value store, in-memory data processing, and systems engineering.
• Experience in large scale platform delivery, large scale migration project
• Experience in a global matrix organization
• Thrive in self-motivated and innovation driven environment
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
Want to learn more about Visa? Visit Visa's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.