Senior Associate Counsel, Employment
Visa, Atlanta GA, US
Everywhere you want to be
This position will be a member of Visa’s Employment and Corporate Responsibility Legal team responsible for providing advice and counsel to Visa’s People Team and company managers in all areas of global employment law, policy, development and training. The attorney functions as a key strategic advisor to the People Team and the business functions. This position may also assist with providing legal support to the Diversity and Corporate Responsibility function, including partnering with stakeholders to develop and implement strategies, policies, and procedures to align with emerging legal and regulatory requirements.
This position requires a curious, practical, collaborative attorney who can work with minimal supervision in a dynamic environment. Occasional travel will be required.
- Provide advice and counsel on employment law issues including hiring, performance management, discipline, terminations, leave and accommodations, federal/state/local law compliance, restrictive covenants, pay and benefits.
- Review and provide guidance on drafting and development of People Team policies and procedures domestically and internationally.
- Counsel People Team, management and supervisors on handling employee relations matters, including employee counseling, discipline and benefits issues.
- Lead or provide advice and support on internal investigations. Recommend and help implement appropriate actions.
- Defend employment-related claims, including leading outside counsel in litigation, responding to administrative claims and settlement demands, and negotiating resolution of claims.
- Assist employment law team in developing, implementing, improving and reviewing legal compliance projects and training.
- Prepare, direct and conduct training programs on employee relations matters; for example, employment law updates, managing within the law, and conducting investigations.
- Review and provide input on policies, procedures and specific matters impacted by legislation such as OFCCP, FMLA, ADA, FLSA, OSHA, ADEA, state worker’s compensation and employment discrimination laws.
- Assist with matters related to Diversity and Corporate Responsibility.
- Support people-related aspects of proposed investments and other transactions, including diligence, input on transaction related-documents, and integration issues.
The role may be based in Foster City, CA or Atlanta, GA.
- 5 years of relevant experience.
- Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
- Current member in good standing of a State Bar with the ability to become barred or a registered in-house counsel in the state where this role is located.
- Strong foundation in California employment laws.
- Corporate employment law experience, both counseling and litigation. Experience in top law firm and/or in-house environment.
- International and M&A experience strongly preferred.
- Extraordinary analytical ability and advocacy skills; excellent written and oral communication and negotiation skills; and the ability to drive execution in a team environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills in all interactions with senior management, corporate departments and all levels of employees.
- Developed business insight, with ability to understand the company's business and anticipate the nature and magnitude of issues that could arise in various settings.
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
Want to learn more about Visa? Visit Visa's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.
Tech Jobs For You
Senior Project Manager - The Points Guy
Red Ventures, Charlotte, NC; New York, NY; Austin, TX; Remote