Senior Software Engineer-Performance Testing, Open VisaNet, Hybrid
Visa, Foster City CA, US
Everywhere you want to be
Visa is looking for Senior Software Engineers for performance and chaos engineering track, who will help build Open VisaNet, Visa's Next generation payment processing platform developed on Open Systems, that would fuel growth in electronic payments globally and drive financial inclusion in many parts of the world.
Open VisaNet, is the Next Generation VisaNet, will push the envelope of building highly scalable, secure, cost effective and distributed application on commodity hardware using best-in-class technology components. Open VisaNet is one of Visa's Key initiatives that will help Visa support in-country processing solutions and provide Visa an opportunity to move away from Proprietary Mainframe type systems. It is built as a modern distributed architecture based on micro services with goals of five 9’s availability, fault tolerance, horizontal scalability and real time latency for largest scale transaction processing. Open VisaNet leverages state of the art Open Software technologies to achieve these goals on commodity hardware, such as Go, Apache Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, gRPC, Cassandra, Aerospike etc. and involves collaboration with exceptional group of software engineers, systems performance and chaos engineers, security specialists, DevOps engineers, payment experts, infrastructure, and solution architects.
- Accountable for creating application and infrastructure performance plans/models for a highly scalable, low-latency, highly available and high-throughput payment processing system.
- Accountable for evaluating resiliency of application and infrastructure for 6 NINEs availability(99.9999% uptime and rate of successful processing)
- Design and contribute to performance testing
- Design and contribute to resiliency testing
- Work with the architects and development team to ensure proper metrics instrumentation in software components, to help facilitate real time and remote troubleshooting/performance monitoring
- Evaluate, develop, and execute load test tools to stress the limits of Visa’s most critical payment applications
- Understand and performance test the APIs, abstractions, and integration patterns to solve challenging distributed computing problems
- Analyze performance and resiliency test results to fine tune component design and implementation
- Characterize end to end system performance from application to infrastructure to hardware
- Monitor application performance, optimize performance bottlenecks and usage to create an application capacity model
- Help optimizing system components such as CPU/Memory/Disk/Network & OS/Application software for maximum use of computer resources
- Design and develop Performance best practices and influence non-functional requirements at early stages
- Work closely with application development teams to provide technical direction to improve application performance
- Ensuring proper documentation and internal publishing of design tradeoffs, code best practices and lessons learned
- Support in triaging and troubleshooting of availability or performance degradation related incidents in prod and non-prod environments
- Contribute to ongoing capacity planning and disaster recovery exercises
• 2 years of work experience with a bachelor’s degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD)
• 2 years of experience with Docker and Kubernetes stack
• 1 year Experience with at least one NoSQL database technology
• 1 year Experience with Kafka
• Experience with either GoLang or Java and performance tuning
• Basic understanding of distributed systems
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• 3 or more years of work experience or more than 2 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD)
• Minimum of 5 years' hands-on experience in Performance Engineering role
• Expert knowledge in hardware, software, and distributed applications environments and solid understanding of their associated capacity and performance indicators
• Knowledge of functional programming languages like Go, Scala or the ability to learn them quickly
• Experience in using scripting languages and open-source Performance tools
• Experience with distributed computing and high frequency transactions is a big plus
• Experience with network programming
• Working familiarity with the entire software development lifecycle including version control, build process, testing, and code release
• Experience with operating system internals, file systems, disk/storage and networking protocols
• Deeply self-motivated with the ability to work independently, coordinating activities within cross-regional and multi-functional teams
• Strong interpersonal, facilitation, and leadership skills along with effective communication (both written and verbal) skills
• Previous experience with financial services or payments processing domain is a big plus
• Prior experience of AI/ML is a big plus
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
Want to learn more about Visa? Visit Visa's website.
File hosting service