Senior Software Engineer - Big Data Technologies
Visa, Foster City CA, US
Everywhere you want to be
We are developing and executing a shared strategic vision for Loyalty & Marketing Services platforms and products that enable Visa to be the world-leading data-driven payments company. As a Sr. Software Engineer, you will be part of world-class team of Engineers to define, drive and execute on this vision. We are looking for a self-motivated individual with software engineering skills and expertise with Java and Big Data technologies. The candidate will be extensively involved in hands-on activities including POCs, design, development, testing, and documentation. Candidate must be flexible and willing to switch tasks based on team s needs.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Design and develop mission-critical systems, delivering high-availability and performance
- Work on development of new products and enhancements to existing systems iteratively by building quick POCs and converting ideas into real products
- Work closely with architects, business, and technical stakeholders to develop high quality products and services that meet business requirements and expectations while applying the latest available tools and technology
- Follow best practices for software development, and deliver high quality work on tight schedules
- Identify opportunities for further enhancements and refinements to standards and processes
- Mentor junior team members, develop departmental procedures and best practices standards
- Help coordinate Continuous Integration activities, testing automation frameworks, and other related items in addition to contributing core product code
- Present technical solutions, capabilities, considerations, and features in business terms. Effectively communicate status, issues, and risks in a precise and timely manner
- Will delegate and review others engineers work on small projects
Most important qualities for the candidate are:
- Academics : Bachelor or Master s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Leadership : Leading solutions and working with teams to achieve it.
- Curiosity : A desire to seek clarity of requirements and why tasks are done a certain way
- Creativity : The ability to take a list of needs and insights and come up with other innovative ideas.
- Strategic focus: Skill to understand big picture and stay focused on task to achieve goals
- Attention to detail: The capability to perform any research systematically and accurately
- Strong work ethic: The innate drive to do work extremely well
- Enthusiasm: A passion to understand people and deliver better products and services to them
• 2 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor Degree or an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD, or PhD).
• Java and Big Data technologies like Hive, Hadoop, and Spark
• 3 or more years of work experience with a Bachelor Degree or more than 2 years of work experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD)
• Understanding and working experience with shell scripting
• Knowledge and working experience on Git/Stash, Ant, Maven, Jenkins and Jira
• Experience with database technologies like DB2, Oracle, SQL Server
• Knowledge of Unix/Linux
• Strong foundation in computer science, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms and software design optimized for building highly distributed and parallelized systems
• Experience with Agile & DevOps methodologies
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a strong automation mindset
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
• Good written and verbal communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate the logic and implementation plan to team members & managers
• Quick learner, self-starter, detailed and thorough
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
Visa Inc. (NYSE: V) is the world’s leader in digital payments. Our mission is to connect the world through the most innovative, reliable and secure payment network - enabling individuals, businesses and economies to thrive. Our advanced global processing network, VisaNet, provides secure and reliable payments around the world, and is capable of handling more than 65,000 transaction messages a second. The company’s relentless focus on innovation is a catalyst for the rapid growth of connected commerce on any device, and a driving force behind the dream of a cashless future for everyone, everywhere. As the world moves from analog to digital, Visa is applying our brand, products, people, network and scale to reshape the future of commerce.
Want to learn more about Visa? Visit Visa's website.
WE PUT MORE POWER IN YOUR HANDS