Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. Vox Media’s networks and businesses include SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode & Code Conferences, Polygon, Concert, Chorus, Vox Creative, Vox Entertainment, and the Vox Media Podcast Network.
We created Vox to solve a problem in the news business. We’ve spent too much time in the media burying the important under the new. We want to explain the news to people by giving them the relevant content and context they need, when they need it and where they will find it. To support these efforts, we’re looking for a social media manager to join our engagement team, working on social media, search, and off-platform strategy. You should be able to adhere to the Vox voice and tone on social media, track social trends and conversations, and make complex news accessible and informative for our audience on social media.
The social media manager will be a part of the Vox Engagement team, whose focus is to increase traffic to the site, increase loyalty, tell off-platform stories and provide meaningful opportunities for the Vox audience to engage with Vox staff and other readers. We are an integrated newsroom so you will be working closely with the Vox editorial and product staff.
What you'll do:
- Help run Vox’s brand social accounts, leading to an increase in followers, engagement, and site referrals
- Occasionally help with live event coverage (such as debates, awards shows, etc) on social
- Serve as an audience ambassador to the newsroom, monitoring audience conversations and providing audience feedback and conversations to reporters and editors
- Act as a social and audience expert for the newsroom, providing feedback to writers and editors on headlines, search optimization, and social share images
- Track and analyze data to help inform social platform strategy
What you'll bring:
- Proven track record running social media accounts for major media outlets or brands
- Incredible attention to detail and intolerance for errors
- Strong writing skills and ability to write creative, engaging copy
- Ability to concisely explain a complicated news story on social platforms
- Extensive knowledge of mainstream social channels: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
- Experience with SEO is a plus
- A passion for the news is a must. A background in journalism is a plus.
- Experience with photography, photo editing, or social graphics is a plus
This position is full-time. An ability and willingness to work some holidays and weekends is a plus.
To apply, please submit the following items:
- A 280-character cover letter (DO NOT SEND a traditional cover letter)
- Your resume
- A list of the social accounts for a brand, media org, etc that you currently manage (or examples of posts from when you did manage)
- 3 examples of how you would share/promote this recent Vox story: https://www.vox.com/world/2019/4/10/18283027/brexit-news-uk-eu-questions
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
About Vox Media
Vox Media is a prestigious modern media company that believes in the power of going deeper to connect with global, passionate, curious audiences. Through our authoritative house of brands, commitment to developing standout technology, and high-fidelity advertising, we are shaping the future of journalism and entertainment.