Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of brands includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, Racked and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
As a Designer at Vox Creative, you will play a crucial role in the ideation, pitching, and (most importantly) execution of visual stories that apply our editorial techniques to subjects of interest to brands. Our designer will be a master of information and movement, who can develop comprehensive design languages, beautiful pitch decks, and easily understandable infographics, process animation, and data visualizations. With our Creative and Design Directors, they’ll need to squeeze the best work out of a legion of motion designers, animators, and illustrators. But they’ll also need to be able to sit down and do the work.
Oh yeah, and they need to love Vox Explainers! While our team works with brands, our content must mirror the award-winning work of our editorial teams. It’s functional design, with an editorial point of view.
This position will report to the Designer Director for Vox Creative, take direction from the Creative Director, and will be based in New York City.
What You’ll Do:
- Take design direction and execute on the vision of the creative director
- Are prepared to fill in as proxy to the design director on communications, including: reviews, stakeholder updates, and other written communication
- Propose solutions to design challenges, especially in the form of understandable infographics, process animation and data visualization.
- Adhere to the Code of Conduct and Design Ethics Guidelines
- Push yourself to create outstanding design in a wide range of formats for a variety of brands
- Produce impactful materials that communicate ideas — from creative treatments, to mood boards, to style guides and beyond — and take the lead in the design
- Participate in brainstorming with strategists on the Creative Development team
- Help us ensure that Vox Creative / Vox Media wins work for priority projects by directing and executing, as needed.
- Incorporate feedback from project leads and clients gracefully, sometimes on the fly
- Collaborate with designers, creatives, producers, writers, account managers and clients
- Connect, converse, and collaborate with teams and individuals across all of Vox Media to learn, tackle new initiatives, and meet unexpected challenge
What You’ll Bring:
- After Effects and Illustrator experience
- Ability to design for animation (what you design needs to be flexible enough to move)
- Strong experience with data visualization and creating process charts, easy to understand breakdowns
Bonus points for:
- Proven knowledge and love of Vox Media’s eight editorial brands
- Ability to think of something else you’d want bonus points for
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
About Vox Media
Vox Media is a prestigious modern media company that believes in the power of going deeper to connect with global, passionate, curious audiences. Through our authoritative house of brands, commitment to developing standout technology, and high-fidelity advertising, we are shaping the future of journalism and entertainment.