Senior Product Designer
Vox Media, New York City, NY
Shaping the future of journalism and entertainment
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the Role
New York Magazine energizes people around shared interests, igniting important conversations with a cosmopolitan point of view and providing the map to shrewdly navigate a fast-moving culture. We want to be a beloved habit for people around the world, with groundbreaking journalism at our core. By connecting our consumers to indispensable content and experiences, our media becomes the starting point from which we can provide innovative offerings across multiple platforms.
The Product team analyzes and creates the platforms that connect New York Magazine’s content with our audience. We’re adept, curious problem-solvers who transform creative ideas into successful products. Great design and user experience are essential to our ability to connect with our readers, and the Digital Design team plays an important role in what New York Magazine creates, ensuring that our products are engaging, useful, and beautiful.
As a Senior Product Designer, you'll play an important part of the design process at New York Magazine, crafting designs that support readers, business, and the editorial voice of New York. The role turns design strategy & insights into elegantly designed products & experiences, and inspires the organization by showing/prototyping what is possible before it is built.
What you'll do:
- Collaborate on projects spanning a broad range including site-wide responsive template designs, home page redesigns, special editorial features, rebranding of existing verticals, social media templates.
- Work through design problems from beginning to end: translate research insights into ideas that form dynamic new products and features, sketch and prototype these ideas to quickly assess viability, and then design detailed interaction behaviors.
- Create and iterate on design projects across the entire product life cycle and multiple product launches.
- Evaluate the success of existing products and features, and develop designs to support business objectives.
- Act as an advocate for the user, reader, viewer or customer in support of those business objectives.
- Maintain other responsibilities as needed.
What you'll bring:
- 5-7 years of visual/product design experience, preferably in digital media. Editorial experience, or editorial print experience is a plus.
- Degree in Visual Design, Graphic Design, Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Motion, Fine Art, Architecture, or a related field of study (or work experience in lieu of degree).
- Excellent typography knowledge and skills, experience with complex typographical systems and hierarchies
- Ability to create design systems that are scalable.
- Enthusiasm and awareness of the design legacy and history of New York Magazine and its digital properties.
- Strong visual awareness and sensibility, and the ability to translate brand identities from one platform to another
- Knowledge of illustration, photography, art, image making.
- UX, UI, research, storytelling and design process which showcases projects from beginning to end.
- Communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm initial design concepts. You also have the ability to mentor others to deliver work, and make experiences come to life.
- Respect when challenging assumptions; giving and receiving feedback with equal grace.
- Ability to work autonomously and overseeing your design from beginning to end, but also equally comfortable in a collaborative environment, and willing to work with other team members when necessary.
- A people-focused design mentality.
- Excellent knowledge of the technologies used to build modern digital experiences.
- Well rounded understanding of information architecture.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
About Vox Media
Vox Media is a prestigious modern media company that believes in the power of going deeper to connect with global, passionate, curious audiences. Through our authoritative house of brands, commitment to developing standout technology, and high-fidelity advertising, we are shaping the future of journalism and entertainment.