Managing Editor, Operations
Vox Media, Washington, DC /New York, NY /Remote
Shaping the future of journalism and entertainment
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Known for our explanatory journalism, Vox is a user's guide to the news, helping readers make sense of everything from the Covid-19 pandemic to the protests against police brutality to the 2020 election. We want to create the single best resource for news consumers anywhere.
Vox.com is searching for a Managing Editor of Operations who, as part of the senior leadership team, will work to set strategic initiatives, develop a creative, dynamic and supportive newsroom culture, and uphold journalistic standards across video, audio, text and social media. This person should have a passion for building diverse, equitable and inclusive teams and be willing to handle all of the tasks that come under the umbrella of operations — from managing the budget to supervising our recruiting process to overseeing our awards submissions to helping the revenue team execute their editorial sales packages. The ideal candidate will be a true problem solver and coalition builder, who finds deep satisfaction in implementing the processes, policies, and plans that set up the newsroom for success.
What you’d do:
- Organize the operational budget for all of Vox.com - – this means setting budget priorities for the year for each team, tracking and reconciling monthly spending, and recalibrating based on business priorities and coverage opportunities.
- Supervise newsroom culture and policies, including diversity, equity, and inclusion and ensuring that our policies and practices work for all employees.
- Oversee skills training, onboarding and offboarding of employees, and quarterly all-staff meetings –- coordinate with team leaders across the newsroom to present latest updates; schedule and supervise skill shares, brown bags and virtual team-building exercises.
- Act as primary newsroom liaison with Vox Media recruiting, finance, legal, and people and culture teams.
- Manage Vox’s Essential Voices Fellowship –-- identify top talent, develop fellowship programming, check in with managers and mentors, host weekly check ins with fellows.
- Work with revenue and network development teams to respond to RFPs, oversee project management of sponsored packages and other revenue-based initiatives, and maintain ethical lines between business and editorial.
- Anything else required to keep a newsroom running.
What you'll bring:
- Attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple projects at once
- Commitment to building a modern newsroom, and understanding that a diverse workforces is the key to accurate and essential news coverage
- Understanding of journalistic standards and principles, and the willingness to explain and implement those principles to journalists and non-journalists within the company
- Ability to find creative solutions and adhere to compliance with regard to hiring, budgeting and legal issues on behalf of Vox.com
- Empathy and compassion for a newsroom working long hours and endless news cycles under pandemic conditions.
- A cool head under pressure
- The ability to self motivate and work independently
- The authority to work across departments and enact policies, budget restrictions and other operational mandates for teams you don’t manage directly.
- Experience managing budgets
Please submit your resume along with a memo that details 1) your approach to operational management, 2) what makes a strong newsroom culture, and 3) why you want to perform this role at Vox.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
More about Vox Media:
Vox Media’s portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About Vox Media
Vox Media is a prestigious modern media company that believes in the power of going deeper to connect with global, passionate, curious audiences. Through our authoritative house of brands, commitment to developing standout technology, and high-fidelity advertising, we are shaping the future of journalism and entertainment.
Want to learn more about Vox Media? Visit Vox Media's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.