Engineer, Science and Explanatory Podcasts
Vox Media, New York/ DC
Shaping the future of journalism and entertainment
As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Vox Media, one of the fastest growing purveyors of top-notch podcasts, is looking for a talented audio engineer for a weekly science show and other future narrative projects.
The science show will be a richly sound-designed and scored look at the holes in our scientific knowledge. Working with the Vox Science team, we’ll look at how scientists come up with new, unexpected questions and the mind-bending ways they try to answer them. We’ll give listeners a sense of awe for the unknown, and a sense of optimism for a future in which these questions might be answered.
A pilot for the show ran on the Today, Explained feed in November. You can listen here to get a basic feel for what we're going for: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1rZEhEBzlkh3O22vE7Jtx5
The audio engineer will be responsible for delivering the highest audio quality to our listeners: tape cleanup, spotting bad edits, sound-design, mixing, and mastering.
If you’re the right person for the role, you have considerable experience working with a variety of audio formats. You can quickly and expertly edit two-way conversations, and you can mix more complex segments with clips, narration, field tape, ambi, music, and sound design. You have hands-on experience with narrative storytelling productions, you're well-versed in using sound design and music to elevate a story, and you can work with production teams to identify and integrate the best quality tape. Crucially, you can transform abstract ideas into a clearly defined, creatively sound-designed scene.
You can work under deadline pressure without compromising high production standards. You will be able to engineer our weekly science show while also saving time each week to help out on other narrative projects. You are a detail-oriented person who can confidently deliver a polished final mix. You can mix to industry standard loudness, and you have experience with audio hardware and software ranging from microphones and portable recorders to plug-ins for EQ, compression, de-noising, etc.
Vox values thinkers, creatives, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person — not the right résumé. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
This is a full-time position based in New York/DC. (We are currently fully remote, and continuing to work remotely in the future is a possibility for this role.)
What you’ll do:
- Facilitate recordings, Cut, sound-design, mix, and master episodes of Vox’s science podcast and other narrative projects
- Assist producers in obtaining field tape/ambi
- Deliver high-quality multi-track mixes
- Help the team generate creative ways to tell stories through audio
- Assist in booking studio sessions
- Upload and publish selected Vox podcasts
- Perform associated administrative duties as needed
- Find and edit clips from audio soundbite services as needed
- Sound-design scenes that range from the inside of a nostril to a far-off galaxy
What you’ll bring:
- At least 5 years experience working as an engineer or sound-designer in a variety of podcast/broadcast formats
- Command of studio and post-production tasks including recording, tape editing, sound design and mixing/mastering
- Demonstrated skills in editing narrative audio productions or film/TV documentary sound mixing
- A musical feel—whether that’s experience mixing music, playing music, or working with music in bigger mixes.
- Fluency in Pro Tools or another comparable program (we work in Pro Tools and can help facilitate a switch from Audition, Logic, or another program)
- Ability to create sound effects from scratch is a plus
- Ability to work in a fast-paced production environment and remain composed and productive under deadline pressure
- Ability to take direction and work independently within a collaborative, team environment
- Incredible attention to detail
- Familiarity with control rooms and digital consoles, specifically Yamaha boards
*This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.
More about Vox Media:
Vox Media’s portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About Vox Media
Vox Media is a prestigious modern media company that believes in the power of going deeper to connect with global, passionate, curious audiences. Through our authoritative house of brands, commitment to developing standout technology, and high-fidelity advertising, we are shaping the future of journalism and entertainment.
Want to learn more about Vox Media? Visit Vox Media's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.