Media Relations Manager
Walker Sands, Chicago
Marketing scientists constantly learning, supporting, and getting things done.
We strongly encourage people of color, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and non-binary people, veterans, parents, and individuals with disabilities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer Walker Sands is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and welcomes everyone to our team.
In your application, please feel free to note which pronouns you use (For example – she/her/hers, he/him/his, they/them/theirs, etc).
If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.
The Media Relations Manager (MRM) is a talented media relations professional within the agency who’s shown a unique aptitude for pitching and working with media & influencers to garner media coverage.
The candidate and their team, led by the Media Relations Director, helps PR teams generate high quality media results for Walker Sands’ B2B technology and services clients. This group works as part of an “expert track” within the PR department devoted solely to media relations.
The role’s first objective is to foster stronger media relationships through careful and considered media outreach. To that end, the media relations manager has high quality media relationships and a fluent understanding of the new media landscape.
Generally speaking, the role provides direct media relations support on a wider variety of agency accounts than other PR department members. Based on current staffing and account load, the number of client interactions will vary.
The manager will provide counsel to clients in determining news value of various campaigns and news items, targeting media segments, and planning for and executing complex announcements by pitching reporters.
The manager should also display a willingness and ability to share their skills and tips/best practices with other groups across the agency.
- Be an advisor that can provide clients expert media strategy on pitching/outreach, influencer engagement and strategic communications.
- Enable clients to exceed their media relations goals
- Foster a media-centric and reporter-first culture that delivers results
- Own national media relationships to bring clients' stories to life.
Counsel account teams on media relations, strategies, programs and pitches.
- 2-5 years of journalism or media relations experience, preferably with business-to-business and/or technology clients
- Ability to pitch complex announcements, news items, or campaign launches
- Ability to deliver sound strategy that aligns directly with client business goals
- Strong client communications abilities
- Well-versed in various paid and owned media channels, including social
- Ability to improvise/think on your feet
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to interface with client executives
- Resourceful, with proven problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to think strategically and teach others to think strategically
- Ability to rally team members around a new campaign
- Believer in the importance of the role of data & analytics in decision-making
About Walker Sands
About Walker Sands Communications Walker Sands is an agency at the forefront of the public relations industry evolution. Since our founding in 2001, we've cultivated a culture that prioritizes collaboration. While other agencies have struggled to bring public relations and digital services together, we’ve made that our foundation. Our clients include large Fortune 500 corporations, startups, fast-growing high-technology companies, professional service firms, business associations and nonprofit organizations. Walker Sands is filled with brilliant, determined marketing scientists. We've put the tools, programs and philosophy in place to make our agency a place where employees can live up to our core values: to constantly learn, support each other, and do exceptional work. Our talented teams assist our clients in a wide array of areas, including strategic counsel, thought leadership programs, product launches, PR, crisis management, investor and analyst relations, media training, corporate communications and content and digital marketing. We rely on results driven communications tools and methodologies to achieve our clients’ goals.
Want to learn more about Walker Sands? Visit Walker Sands's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.