Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
It’s been an exciting time of growth, change, and development for Wattpad. We are expanding our largest team - engineering and data - and with this growth comes the need to expand our team management. Engineering Managers are part of the Engineering Leadership Team at Wattpad; they play a big role day-to-day to ensure their team has the skills they need to be successful; through hiring, growth, and development of individuals. As an Engineering Manager, you will have a direct impact in shaping the engineering ethos at Wattpad, a voice within the department leadership and stewarding the growth of a team of diverse engineers and data practitioners.
We are looking to hire an Engineering Manager for our new Core Client Group which focuses on delivering, maintaining, improving, and building platforms to enable Wattpad to iterate and evolve our best-in-class platform. This group consists of two teams—the Core Client Experience team which owns our design language and systems and the Core Client Platform team which owns our Web, iOS, and Android platforms. Based on your unique set of skills and passion areas, you may be considered to lead one of these dynamic teams.
With 90M users (and growing), this team is working to unify our designs, build scalable and easily maintained client platforms in the technical challenging space of social content sharing and discovery. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about solving these problems and who is ready to dive deep into questions around stability, scalability, cost of ownership, and security.
What you’ll be doing:
- Manage a team of 5-10 front-end engineers (mobile and web), playing an active role in the success of the team’s initiatives and the individual’s careers
- Ensure the team is high performing, with a healthy, inclusive, and collaborative culture
- Contribute to the technology strategy by guiding and shepherding the technical architecture
- Maintain high-quality standards, especially with technology, and foster a culture of long-term thinking and innovation
- Help support and unblock the team in delivering on its goals; you will oversee the technical scoping and planning for the team, and guide team rituals
- Work with leadership to provide management, guidance, and direction for the team as well as related engineering broad initiatives
- Be enthusiastic and embrace Wattpad’s values: #teamwork, #builditforward, #trailblazer, #playtowin, #resourceful, #inclusive, #userobsessed
What we’re looking for:
- Experience in building and managing successful front-end (mobile and/or web) engineering teams
- Prior experience in a front-end software development role.
- Experience managing and guiding large-scale technical projects
- A strong technical background in order to make well-informed judgments
- An effective communicator that can translate complex technical concepts to various audiences
- Comfortable working with ambiguity and multiple stakeholders, driving to clarity and delivery
- A history of working with front-end and/or mobile developers
- A technical background pre-managerial that was in the client space (web, Android, or iOS)
- Experience working with a large-scale product company that has an established world user base across a variety of demographics
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits are fully covered by us!
- RRSP Contributions (Canada), 401K Contributions (USA)
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- Monthly home office allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, and full support for remote or hybrid work options.
- Corporate discount for a gym membership for you and your family
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Downtown Halifax, both with easy access to transit.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.