Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, W Ventures, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We are looking for a Product Manager to help build technology platforms that will make it quick, effective, and fulfilling to build applications at Wattpad. This high leverage investment in our technology ecosystem will ensure that we can rapidly prototype and deliver the bold product changes necessary to meet our ambitious growth goals. With 90M users (and growing), this team is working to solve challenging problems in architecture, platform building, API design and migration strategies. We’re looking for someone who is passionate about solving these types of issues and ready to dive deep into questions around stability, scalability, cost of ownership and security.
Your role as a PM on this team will focus on developing and maintaining scalable technology platforms that will be valuable and usable to teams building user-facing features. You will work closely with a multidisciplinary team, including engineering and data. You will work to understand the needs of internal users, especially engineers, to ensure we are meeting our business goals and building more effectively and quickly. You will help facilitate the process of determining the best solutions in collaboration with your team. You will be the team’s representative to ensure the team’s efforts are aligned with the organization’s needs and supported by appropriate stakeholders.
What you'll be doing:
- Jointly lead a cross-functional team to create, evolve and maintain our Client Platform (Web, Android, iOS) or our Core Platforms and Infrastructure (tools & libraries, deployment & observability)
- Provide your team with a deep understanding of the company and product strategy, so it has the necessary context to prioritize and build the right technology solutions
- Seek to understand the challenges developers at Wattpad face in building products effectively so that you can clearly define and prioritize the most impactful problems to solve
- Partner with key stakeholders on functional teams, Engineering, and Data to develop and implement a roadmap that aligns our tech strategy and business strategy
- Share accountability in delivering results with the cross-functional partners on your team
- Work closely with our engineering teams to better define, implement and iterate on solutions together
- Contribute to continuously growing Wattpad’s technical product management capabilities
What we're looking for:
- At least 2-4 years of professional experience as a product manager working on technical systems
- Knowledge and understanding of technology systems, particularly in developing technology platform products
- Have strong product instincts about getting from a customer pain point to an underlying problem
- A true facilitator that helps teams collaboratively navigate complex business challenges; you ask engaging questions, actively listen to the answers, and help teams synthesize the different perspectives
- Passion for the power of storytelling
- Excellent leadership and communications skills, with experience managing a variety of stakeholders, including those who are deeply technical
- Data-driven/analytical mindset with the ability to break down complex problems into manageable tasks and prioritize them
- Natural curiosity with a thirst to validate assumptions with data, insight, and peer discussions to inform yourself better
- Degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent practical experience and passion
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and investing in your learning, and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered by us!
- RRSP Contributions (Canada), 401K Contributions (USA)
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- Monthly home office allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Downtown Halifax, both with easy access to transit.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.