Wattpad is a global multiplatform entertainment company whose vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories. Since 2006, we’ve been on a mission to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world. Every month 90 million people around the world spend over 23 billion minutes on Wattpad to share and discover stories they can’t find anywhere else. Our brand banner includes: Wattpad, W Ventures, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios, Wattpad Books and Wattpad Brand Partnerships. We’re proudly based in Toronto, but our reach is global. Come build the future of entertainment and storytelling, and write your next chapter with us!
We’re looking for a Senior User Experience Researcher to understand what readers value and how we can activate them into paying fans in Wattpad’s storytelling ecosystem.
You are a researcher who seeks to uncover deeply-rooted user needs and values to help us decide upon what product experiences we must make and what we need to let go of. You are equally comfortable with broad, generative, longitudinal research while also able to work with a guerrilla research mindset where you can strike the balance between the speed and reliability of insights.
You are an advocate for using mixed research methods and have a constant appetite for seeking the right methods and tools that will help us to gain and share research insights more efficiently, accurately, and effectively.
What you will be doing:
- Lead user research agendas and methodologies within the Fan Ecosystem Team to uncover underlying reader and writer values and needs that will drive business outcomes
- Determine the accurate and timely research methods for identifying unmet user needs and opportunities to inform product and experience design decisions
- Design and apply a variety of different user-research techniques both qualitative and quantitative including: surveys, interviews, diary studies, usability studies, task analysis, card sorting, A/B testing
- Be a consultative partner for enabling others from across the organization to reliably and accurately conduct user research
- Effectively communicate and share findings of your research with product and design teams, business stakeholders, and to the company at large
What we are looking for:
- 3+ years user research in a technology product development environment where your research is informing iterations of a web or mobile app experience
- Advanced experience and understanding of different research methods, when best to apply them, with the know-how and flexibility to bend those methods to our needs
- Excellent observational skills and analytical ability - you delight in seeing things that others miss and enabling others to see the same
- Superior communication skills (oral, written, and presentation) to convey research approaches and insights at a team, business, and company levels
- Stakeholder management - you know how to work with multiple stakeholders to drive outcomes
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in human-computer interaction, information design, psychology, anthropology, or other relevant/transferable education/experience
- A team player to work in harmony with our research team
- Bonus background in one or more of the above: statistics, quantitative research methods, design strategy, user generated content research, experience working with fiction or media content, reading and storytelling
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- Health benefits, fully covered on us!
- RRSP Contributions (Canada), 401K Contributions (USA)
- Generous vacation and Parental Leave Top-up
- Monthly Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- Summer Fridays with afternoons off!
- And a whole lot more!
**Update: Wattpad is still actively hiring for this role! We are a robust and growing business; our search for new talent continues.**
Wattpad is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
Wattpad is a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
If you happen to live near the areas of either Toronto, Ontario or Halifax, Nova Scotia, you may also have the opportunity to work from our beautiful offices - 1 located in Downtown Toronto and the other in Downtown Halifax, both with easy access to transit.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.