Wattpad WEBTOON Studios brings together technology, a diverse new generation of creators, and passionate global fandoms to create data-backed, audience-driven TV shows, films, and books. Leveraging incredible stories and insights from WEBTOON and Wattpad’s combined audience of more than 166 million people, Wattpad WEBTOON Studios has pioneered a bold, global, fan-first approach to entertainment. Wattpad WEBTOON Studios has worked with Netflix, Sony Pictures Television, Crunchyroll, The Jim Henson Company, Vertigo Entertainment, Constantin Film, Penguin Random House, and many other leaders in entertainment and publishing.
Wattpad WEBTOON Studios is seeking a motivated, exceptional law student to support a wide variety of business and legal affairs activities across its global entertainment and publishing operations. Reporting to the Director, Legal & Business Affairs, the Legal Intern will contribute to ongoing contract administration and drafting, conduct research projects, and assist internal/external counsel in supporting the goals of the Studio.
This is an exciting opportunity for a driven, curious and collaborative law student seeking exposure to a unique business at the intersection of entertainment, publishing and technology. The ideal candidate will possess clear interpersonal excellence, a strong eye for meaningful detail, and a high capacity to learn.
This position is a paid, 3-month, full time (40 hours/week) internship, occurring in the Fall (September 2022 - December 2022). Please submit your resume, cover letter and an electronic copy of your unofficial law school transcript to be considered for the role.
What you’ll be doing:
- Supporting the Studio across a range of business and legal affairs, including but not limited to drafting entertainment and publishing agreements, investigating rights and chain-of-title inquiries, and maintaining key rights / deal term databases
- Support day-to-day business and legal contract operations, including contract and project management systems which may involve organizing, tracking, and analyzing various contracts, including distribution, licensing, and service agreements, and NDAs
- Conduct research and draft memos on various topics such as business and legal issues which may include Intellectual Property Law, Media and Entertainment Law, Contract Law, Regulatory Affairs and Compliance, and/or International Business Transactions
- Providing analysis as needed regarding legal rights and obligations, intellectual property and creator matters, actual or potential claims, and other legal matters across the Studio
What we’re looking for:
- Currently enrolled in (minimum one year completed) or recently graduated from law school
- Some knowledge of the television/film/animation space domestically and globally, and a desire to learn deeply and broadly about the industry
- Highly motivated, detail-oriented, organized in thought and action, and capable of multitasking in a fast-paced environment
- Strong ability to work autonomously and as a collaborative team member
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite; experience with contract and/or rights management software a plus
- Proficiency in Spanish or Korean a plus
What we offer:
- Career development; we believe in mentorship and supporting you to achieve your goals
- $200/month Transit and Home Office Allowance, choice of hardware, flexible hours, hybrid office and remote work options
- Corporate discount for gym membership for you and your family
- And a whole lot more!
Wattpad WEBTOON Studios is conducting all interviews in a distributed manner using applicable third party software where needed and using visual interface tools such as Google Hangouts and Zoom.
Who are we? Entrepreneurs and Do-ers. Our vision is to entertain and connect the world through stories, and our mission is to use the power of community and technology to unleash the full potential of stories to the world.
What does that mean? We are visionaries, community builders, passionate problem solvers, storytellers, coffee snobs (tea drinkers, too!), curious by nature, and culturally diverse.
What are we obsessed with? Our users. Solving complex problems and maximizing flow. Learning constantly. Building the next great storytelling product. Finding the greatest stories ever told. Dogs (and cats), coffee, and good snacks.
How do we work? Autonomously, collaboratively, respectfully. Balancing with work, family, and play...and all while having a great time.
We are a remote friendly company and encourages remote candidates to apply as long as they are located and authorized to work in either the US or Canada (excluding Quebec) as a precondition of employment. We are not able to sponsor applicants for work permits.
Culture and Diversity
Wattpad is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate. Period.
Wattpad welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We have taken a leadership position on creating a culture and an organization that truly values diversity. We are committed to fostering a global team that reflects the diversity of the Wattpad community. At Wattpad, we believe cultural fit doesn’t mean culturally identical, and diversity of thought helps us to challenge one another to think big and think differently. We consider employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status, disability status or any other protected status.
If you have any special needs or accessibility requirements, please let us know. We will do our utmost to accommodate, in accordance with applicable local legislation.