IT Systems Specialist
Wikimedia, San Francisco, CA
A global movement whose mission is to bring free educational content to the world
Wikimedia Foundation is seeking an IT Systems Specialist to work within the team helping to support, maintain, troubleshoot and build out our internal IT systems. You are passionate about providing excellent support and services to our staff, while having the technical skills to improve systems and processes. Our team of IT professionals work collaboratively and cross functionally to escalate and resolve issues, while improving process. You will play a key role in assisting with the assessment, facilitation and implementation of industry standard tools (automation and unifying systems inspires you). Our ideal candidate will be excited to play an integral role during the Foundation’s most rapid growth period. This position will be a member of the Office Information Technology Team and will be working out of our SF Headquarters supporting staff based domestically and internationally.
You are responsible for:
- Providing technical assistance to Wikimedia Foundation staff domestically and worldwide by monitoring and triaging incoming support requests
- Assist with forthcoming service and support projects, including assessing, updating and implementing systems
- Support of Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and macOS operating systems
- Ticket support duties (rotational schedule for Team)
- Collaborate with vendors and outside contractors as needed
- Support and enhance the OnBoard/OffBoard systems and process
- Support equipment deployment using JAMF as well as standard builds for Linux and Windows machines
- Assist with asset and software procurement and inventory management
- Manage and support hardware donation program
- Server room and Inventory room physical maintenance
Skills and Experience:
- Experience with enterprise customer facing technical and/or systems support role with responsibility for a company environment or equivalently sized organization
- Ability to perform and improve support workflows from beginning to end, ensuring proper report out is adhered to
- “Power-User” understanding macOS and Ubuntu Linux, Windows operating systems.
- Service-oriented approach: able to anticipate, understand and meet the needs of professionals.
- Experience with the integration and administration of the following tools and technologies: GSuite, JAMF, LDAP, Oomnitza, Zendesk, SSO, DaaS, SaaS
- Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and effectively, both written and orally
- Ability to successfully manage multiple priorities including urgent tasks
- Be comfortable in a highly collaborative, communicative and consensus-oriented environment and proven ability to work well on a team, take instruction, and learn from mistakes.
- Familiarity and desire to work with scripting languages (e.g., Python.)
- Must be able to lift 20 lbs or more. (Accommodations can be made should this be an issue.)
- Experience working with a majority remote workforce (international and domestic)
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with end-user security best practices
- Experience with network troubleshooting (TCP\IP, DHCP, DNS, VLANs, 802.1x)
- Familiarity with VPN support, troubleshooting and configuration
- A/V support and troubleshooting experience (Zoom, Google Meet, Qsys)
- Awareness of sustainability practices
- Experience with vendor management and contract services
- Familiarity with Wikitext (wiki markup) language.
- Understanding of the free culture, free software, or online rights movements.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Eligible international workers' benefits are specific to their location and dependent on their employer of record
Wikimedia Medium Term Plan
Diversity and inclusion information for Wikimedia workers, by the numbers
Annual Report - 2017
This is Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.