A global movement whose mission is to bring free educational content to the world
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Data Engineer to join our team, reporting to the Director of Data Engineering. As a Data Engineer, you will be responsible for building, maintaining and expanding the shared data infrastructure that powers a big part of decision making in the Foundation as well as the Wiki Movement. This includes everything from building scalable pipelines using big data technology to defining and creating a suite of datasets which adhere to our privacy principles.
We are a fully remote, internationally distributed team. When there isn’t a pandemic around, we see each other in person 2-3 times a year during one of our off-sites (the last few have been in places like Majorca, New York and Prague), the Wikimedia All Hands (once a year in San Francisco), or Wikimania, the annual international conference for the Wiki community.
You will be responsible for:
- Integrating data from multiple sources to gain insights in areas such as content, traffic, editors, readership and fundraising
- Building scalable data pipelines in collaboration with other data engineers as well as teams across the foundation including product analytics, platform engineering, survey, research and machine learning teams
- Designing the shared data platform that supports use cases for critical aspects of the Wikimedia mission: harassment prevention, image classification, bot detection, DDoS attacks flagging and many more
- Building and maintaining public metrics and datasets
- Implementing data quality monitoring that alerts the team of possible data issues
- Implementing a data governance and lineage solution for all Wikimedia data
Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of relevant industry experience
- Advanced working knowledge of SQL, relational databases, query authoring, ideally in a variety of flavors (in our team alone we deal with MariaDB, HiveQL, CassandraQL, Spark SQL and Presto)
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as Python, Scala, and Java
- Experience building data pipelines using tools such as Airflow, Spark, Gobblin, Oozie, Yarn
- Familiarity with stream processing systems using Kafka, Spark streaming and/or Flink
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- BS or MS degree, preferably in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Commitment to the mission of the organization and our values
- Commitment to our guiding principles
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Collaborative working experience
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with Hadoop
- Understanding of related disciplines including Machine Learning, Statistics, Privacy and Algorithms
- Experience working with site reliability engineers
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
Want to learn more about Wikimedia? Visit Wikimedia's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one