Wikimedia, San Francisco, CA or Remote
A global movement whose mission is to bring free educational content to the world
Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors come together to make free knowledge a reality. Every hour, 36,000 people view Wikipedia articles from all over the world. Every second, more than 100,000 HTTP requests hit Wikimedia’s servers. In the Wikimedia Foundation’s Research team, we leverage this large-scale data to understand and empower people around the world to share in the sum of all knowledge.
As a research scientist at the Wikimedia Foundation, you will work with researchers, software engineers, designers, and volunteers to design, test and evaluate new technologies; turn research questions into publicly shared knowledge; produce empirical insights to inform the organization’s and the movement’s strategy. You will work with a team that is strongly committed to principles of transparency, privacy and collaboration; uses free and open source technology and regularly collaborates with researchers in the industry and academia.
As a research scientist with our team, you will:
- Conduct research involving experimental design, large-scale data analysis and data mining, statistical modeling and the application of machine learning methods
- Contribute to the design, execution, and communication of research projects
- Discuss, document and share the process and results of your research publicly
- Actively engage in a collaborative, consensus-oriented environment and as part of a globally-distributed organization
- PhD or MSc degree plus related work experience in computer science, statistics, or related technical fields; PhD degree highly preferred
- Experience in Machine Learning and at least one of the following fields: Natural Language Processing, Algorithm Design, Social Network Analysis, HCI
- Programming experience in Python, C++, or R
- Contributions to research communities and research initiatives including publishing in relevant conferences and journals, organizing academic workshops
This will set you apart
- A portfolio of open source research or programming projects
- Relevant work experience, in academia or industry
- Experience with mixed methods research
- A strong record of scholarly publications
- Experience with tools such as Spark, Flink, Hive, Kafka
- Experience editing Wikipedia or other Wikimedia projects
About the Wikimedia Foundation
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
Benefits & Perks *
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
* for benefits eligible staff, benefits may vary by location
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
Want to learn more about Wikimedia? Visit https://wikimediafoundation.org/
Jobs You May Like
Senior Data Scientist - Growth Experimentation and Modeling
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Senior User Experience Researcher - Seller Insights
Etsy, Brooklyn, NY
Senior Analytics Engineer, Data Platform Analytics
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Senior Data Scientist (Chicago)
Trunk Club, Chicago, IL
Strategic Analyst Internship Program: 2018
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Sr. Data Analyst