Trustee - Background: Engaging New Communities
Wikimedia, San Francisco, CA or Remote
A global movement whose mission is to bring free educational content to the world
About the Board of Trustees
Board members play a vital role in shaping and approving our strategy, ensuring the we use our resources in pursuit of our mission, and championing our vision, mission, and values within our communities and in public. The Board's role is to oversee the management of the Foundation, and advise, challenge, and support the Executive Director without crossing into management.
The Board is structured to hold a range of experiences and differing expertise, including:
- three community-nominated volunteer seats,
- two affiliate-nominated volunteer seats,
- four appointed expert seats, and
- an honorary seat held by Jimmy Wales, the founder.
We are currently looking to fill two appointed seats. The position listed below describes some of the specific subject-matter expertise we hope to add to our Board. Deadline for submission is March 6th, 2017.
It’s clear where one significant growth path lies: engaging new audiences in emerging markets, the people we have not yet reached. The “Growing New Communities” Board seat will help us identify and enter new, developing markets—not just one, but many.
We’d like you to have some or all of these kinds of experiences:
- You see the opportunities, challenges, and risks particular regions present, are “in touch” with the general needs of the people we hope to serve, and have a sense for the right partnership coalition.
- Perhaps you have led entry into multiple developing markets
- Perhaps you have worked in international development or led program or product evolution
- Perhaps you have worked in a multinational organization handling international business development in new markets for new programs, products or services
- You have applied cultural insight and local knowledge to develop meaningful, mission-driven programs or products.
- You know youth in the markets we hope to serve.
- You have been a board member for a social sector organization or company that has faced similar challenges (e.g. growth in the social sector, entering new markets while staying true to the brand, shifting an organization to think toward the future).
Board members serve for three-year, renewable terms. Each year, the Board convenes four times in person at different locations around the world and three to six times online as necessary. Meetings require coordination with members across the world and across time zones. Overall, the time commitment for standard service is roughly 75 hours per year (not including travel). Board members may additionally choose to dedicate time to one or more Board committees, supporting and providing counsel to the Executive Director and her team, or promoting the Wikimedia movement through speaking engagements and connecting with the Wikimedia communities. All Board positions are unpaid and provided in service of the movement.
Help us make free knowledge an established way of life everywhere.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
At the Foundation, we build technology to help people everywhere access Wikipedia, across devices and in nearly 300 languages. We engineer privacy for our readers and editors so they can safely and securely explore Wikipedia. We create programs and initiatives to make Wikipedia freely available to more people in more parts of the world. We build new tools for the community of editors so they can continue to improve and grow Wikipedia. Roughly a quarter of our budget goes to supporting the community that make the site possible, including through grantmaking programs that enable volunteers and enrich the information on the sites.
The Wikimedia Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply.
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that supports and hosts Wikipedia and several other Wikimedia free knowledge sites. Every month, the Wikimedia sites are accessed by more than a billion unique devices. Wikipedia consists of more than 40 million articles across hundreds of languages. Every month, more than 70,000 volunteer editors contribute to Wikipedia. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) non-profit that is funded primarily through donations and grants. It currently employs over 240 staff members.
Want to learn more about Wikimedia? Visit https://wikimediafoundation.org/
Jobs You May Like
Business Management Associate
Principal, Teacher Segment Marketer
Khan Academy, Mountain View, CA / Remote friendly (US + Canada)
Senior Strategy & Operations Manager, Merchant - New York
DoorDash, New York
National Partnerships Executive
MealPal, New York
Business Development Analyst - Internship
Clojure Data Engineer