Senior Backend Developer
Magically schedule meetings That’s us. That’s all we think about.
About the x.ai team
At x.ai you’ll have an opportunity to work with an inspiring group of highly intelligent, curious, and super-engaged people coming from all walks of life. Our challenge is not easily tackled by mimicking technology that has come before us. We are building something that’s never been built before, and that means the initiatives you’ll take on will push you to your limits. But you’ll have a truly amazing team on your side. Everyone on our team relishes our challenge, and helps each other and learns from each other. If this excites you rather than intimidates you, come join us.
We feel like one of our greatest strengths is the diversity of our team. We come from different countries, technical backgrounds, welcome teammates across the LGBTQ spectrum, have different personalities and perspectives, and we even employ a couple of non-human animals (Lumi and Rupert). This diversity of background leads to diversity of thought, and we nurture it with conviction. The women in our organization meet regularly to discuss issues concerning women in tech, and we have a monthly diversity group workshop to make sure we’re continuing to strengthen our team’s awareness, understanding and engagement with diversity. We’ve had great success with people moving from all over the country to work with us, so if you’re thinking about moving to NYC, you won’t regret it!
About our challenge
At x.ai, we believe everyone deserves a helpful artificial intelligence assistant to give you back the hours spent in meeting scheduling ping-pong. We are building AI personal assistants (Amy and Andrew) that schedule meetings for you. This is a yet unsolved problem within AI, and a formidable technical challenge.
Our team has spent 4 years building the powerful, fundamental technology to allow us to solve the meeting scheduling problem. While we’ll always be working to make Amy and Andrew smarter, our next big challenge is scaling, to make them available to everyone in the world.
You are an enthusiastic developer who brings with you the experiences you’ve learned building distributed systems in at least one of your previous roles. You care about the system, not the specific languages or technologies used to build it. You have garnered good judgement and formidable persistence in the face of challenges, always pushing forward to improve the technology in measured steps. You’ve failed and made mistakes, and you’ve learned from those mistakes, giving you invaluable tools for decision making on your future challenges.
As a senior developer, you'll bring with you experience designing complex software and distributed systems. You can improve our cloud infrastructure, improve the way we work, drive technical changes to improve our codebase and systems architecture, and you can mentor and upskill those around you.
You’re humble, collaborative, can push and pull when discussing different approaches to solving problems and most of all, you care deeply about being part of a respectful group of engineers tackling a very difficult problem.
- Build and deploy highly available services and system components that will stand up to rapid growth in the coming years
- Participate in the technical design and implementation of new features and system components
- Articulate capacity and monitoring plans for the services you work on
- Deliver maintainable, well-tested code
- Partner with, teach and learn from other engineers
- Drive scalability and performance within our distributed AI system
- Experience working on distributed systems with 24/7 availability
- BS or MS in Computer Science (or related field)
- Intellectually curious, collaborative, self-motivated, fast learner that is comfortable with uncertainties
- Experience building APIs engineers love to use
- Bonus: experience with Functional Programming, Scala, Machine Learning, MongoDB, Node.js, AWS, Docker, Linux/Unix
- Work with a team of amazing people
- Tackle a problem not solved before
- Self-managed and flexible paid time off - vacation & sick time
- Healthcare: Medical, Dental, Vision
- Gym membership (or activity equivalent) on us
- Team outings, both near and far
- Collaborative work spaces
- Weekly catered team dinners and a steady flow of coffee & beer
- Your own personal assistants, Amy and Andrew
Driven by artificial intelligence and human empathy Founded in 2014, x.ai makes an artificial intelligence personal assistant who schedules meetings for you. We’re backed by blue chip investors, including IA Ventures, Firstmark, and Two Sigma Ventures, and located in New York City. We’re a hardcore technology company, developing invisible software. We build our business sustainably through passionate and loyal customers—and every single team member, scientist or not, has a mission of delivering exceptional customer service at all times.
Want to learn more about x.ai? Visit x.ai's website.
Jobs You May Like
Kiddom, San Francisco
Architect - Intelligent Routing API
Twilio, San Francisco, CA
Front End Engineer
Eventbrite, Madrid, Spain
Grassroots Evangelist, Developer Relations
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL
MongoDB Database Server Engineer, Platform
MongoDB, New York City
Senior Software Engineer, Delivery Integrations
Netflix, Los Gatos, California