WHAT WE DO MATTERS:
Here at XO Group, we truly believe in doing work that matters. Through our family of brands—The Knot, The Nest, The Bump, GigMasters, and How He Asked—we inspire, inform, and cheer on our community as they move through life’s most amazing milestones. From the proposal, to creating a home and starting a family together, we’re there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we.
ABOUT THE ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
XO Group is seeking a talented and driven Lead Engineer to lead The Knot Wedding Websites team. The Knot is the nation’s leading wedding marketplace, providing our couples with a completely personalized experience that guides them through the entire wedding planning journey. The products you will be working on contribute 45% of The Knot’s traffic: what you build will be used by millions of couples and their guests. The Lead Engineer will be responsible for managing a team of 4-6 talented engineers while working closely with Product and Design Leads to collaborate and iterate on product features. Our Product and Engineering teams work closely together at every phase of product development from research and inception to release and maintenance.
- Lead a 4-6 person talented team of full-stack and mobile engineers
- Provide mentorship to all members of the team, coaching team members on their personal and career development
- Actively participate in the ideation and execution of product roadmap
- Work closely with business stakeholders to deliver value to users and business partners
- Lead and facilitate decision making during technical meetings
- Spend at least 30% time producing well-tested, extensible code that stands up to 5M+ requests per day
- Ensure technical KPIs around application maintenance, performance and resiliency are met
- Drive technical roadmap, contribute to the development of codebase and infrastructure
- Promote best practices and ensure the continuous improvement of engineering and product processes
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- 6+ years of overall engineering experience
- 5+ years hands-on proven track record implementing full stack applications
- 2+ years of experience using React or other modern frontend framework
- 2+ years of experience using Ruby on Rails or similar technology
- 2+ years of DevOps experience - working with AWS or a similar cloud platform
- 2+ years managing engineers
- Experience working in an Agile, TDD environment
- Experience building and maintaining scalable REST APIs
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Mastery of design patterns and anti-patterns
- Pair programming experience is a plus
- Team player, able to multitask, with a can-do attitude
- B.S. in Computer Science a major plus
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You love our users. You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You do the right thing. You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn’t right, you say something.
- You debate it. You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You own your outcomes. You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You make fast decisions. You are an effective and timely communicator. You understand how to collaborate, compromise, and escalate when needed.
- You get better every day. You welcome the gift of feedback. You never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US:
You’ll hear a lot about culture and perks from other companies, but we like to think of it as the XO way of life. From unlimited vacation and generous parental leave benefits, to free snacks and Thirsty Thursdays, we believe in happiness above all else—in and out of the office.
About XO Group
XO Group Inc. helps people navigate and enjoy life's biggest moments, together. Our family of multi-platform brands guide people through transformative lifestages, from getting married to moving in together and having a baby. Our brands include The Knot, the number one wedding planning resource and marketplace, The Bump, the definitive voice for millennial parents and parents-to-be, and The Nest, the go-to guide for all things home for new couples.