Associate Art Director
XO Group, New York
XO Group Inc. guides people through life's biggest moments
WHAT WE DO MATTERS:
Here at XO Group, we truly believe in doing work that matters. Through our family of brands—The Knot, The Nest, The Bump, GigMasters, and How He Asked—we inspire, inform, and cheer on our community as they move through life’s most amazing milestones. From the proposal, to creating a home and starting a family together, we’re there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we.
ABOUT THE ASSOCIATE ART DIRECTOR ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
XO Group, The Knot Magazine seeks a talented and enthusiastic Associate Art Director with 4+ years editorial experience to join our creative design team. This is the number two spot in a fast paced three person art department. This position offers exposure to all aspects of the design process, from conceptualizing initial story ideas, art directing photo shoots to exploring new design ideas for all sections of the magazine. The Knot produces a quarterly National Magazine and Biannually Regional issues, that you will get to be a part of.
- Create and design high-impact editorial pages, graphics and typography
- Generate innovative visual storytelling ideas for FOB, BOB and multi layered Features
- Elevate the Knot brand through current editorial design trends
- Partner with Design Director, Photo Director and Edit team on story development and visual concepts
- Direct still-life photography shoots
- Manage individual page production, pagination and shipping
- Ensure layouts meet the design and print standards throughout each issue cycle
- Oversee and approve color correction and retouching
- Manage daily workflow of the Art Department
- Maintain positive work environment with high creative standards
- Manage and direct interns and freelance staff
- Contribute to and execute future redesign
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Strong understanding of editorial print design, visual hierarchy, the creative process and editorial problem solving
- Exceptional design and typography skills
- Advanced production skills with attention to detail
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign.
- Knowledge of Mac-based K4 system and work flow experience
- Ability to multi-task numerous layouts and responsibilities under tight deadlines without compromising quality
- In-depth knowledge of print production best practices
- Passionate about design, photography, typography, fashion, style and all things weddings!
- Leadership—confident in design abilities and able to articulate ideas and opinions
- Experience in collaborating with photographers, stylist's and illustrators
- A flexible personality and strong work ethic
Please send cover letter, resume, and link to portfolio
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You love our users. You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You do the right thing. You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn’t right, you say something.
- You debate it. You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You own your outcomes. You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You make fast decisions. You are an effective and timely communicator. You understand how to collaborate, compromise, and escalate when needed.
- You get better every day. You welcome the gift of feedback. You never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US:
You’ll hear a lot about culture and perks from other companies, but we like to think of it as the XO way of life. From unlimited vacation and generous parental leave benefits, to free snacks and Thirsty Thursdays, we believe in happiness above all else—in and out of the office.
About XO Group
XO Group Inc. helps people navigate and enjoy life's biggest moments, together. Our family of multi-platform brands guide people through transformative lifestages, from getting married to moving in together and having a baby. Our brands include The Knot, the number one wedding planning resource and marketplace, The Bump, the definitive voice for millennial parents and parents-to-be, and The Nest, the go-to guide for all things home for new couples.
Want to learn more about XO Group? Visit http://xogroupinc.com/
Jobs You May Like
Freelance Content Designer
Splash, Can work from anywhere
Cafe Design Project Manager
Blue Bottle Coffee, Oakland
Summer Digital Content Internship
Walker Sands, Chicago
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Frontend Developer – Game Framework