WHAT WE DO MATTERS:
Here at XO Group, we truly believe in doing work that matters. Through our family of brands—The Knot, The Nest, The Bump, GigMasters, and How He Asked—we inspire, inform, and cheer on our community as they move through life’s most amazing milestones. From the proposal to creating a home and starting a family together, we’re there for every step of the journey. Our couples and business partners depend on us. They're all in. So are we.
ABOUT THE ROLE AND OUR TEAM:
The Knot’s local vendor marketplace is an ~$80 million (and growing) business within XO Group. Our mission is to connect our local business partners with the right couple to plan and book their wedding. We believe in creating performant, elegant user experiences while balancing the needs of a two sided marketplace.
As the manager, you will be responsible for managing engineers of all levels, partnering with product and design to solve user problems, and driving the technical architecture in concert with our broader team. This position will be highly technical but also have strong demands to participate in product and business discussions on an ongoing basis.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to a team of talented, technical, full-stack engineers.
- Collaborate with other engineering teams to align on technical architecture and direction.
- Actively participate in strategy sessions with product, business, and marketing partners.
- Participate in an Agile development process to build and ship new features as well as balance technical debt.
- Continually optimize the team’s AWS footprint to ensure it is right-sized.
- Monitor the team’s technical KPI’s to ensure we are on target or addressing issues as needed.
- Stay up to date on current technologies and innovations in the field and be interested in sharing lessons learned outside of XO.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- Firsthand experience supporting a sizable customer facing business with an established set products.
- 5+ years of experience as a professional software engineer building beautiful, scalable, and highly visible web applications.
- 4+ years of experience managing highly performing software development teams.
- 3+ years of experience using Node, Ruby on Rails, Python or comparable language.
- 2+ years of experience using React.
- Experience with various data storage solutions such as ElasticSearch, MongoDB, Redis, Postgres and/or others.
- Hands-on experience with TDD and testing frameworks as part of the development workflow.
- Proven firsthand examples of successful product development following Agile principles.
- Experience with Github, Jenkins, and continuous deployment pipelines.
- Comfortable with infrastructure and AWS.
- Communicates well, love to share knowledge, always willing to learn from everyone.
WHAT WE LOVE ABOUT YOU:
- You love our users. You deeply understand our users and put them at the center of everything you do. You aim to serve and delight them every day.
- You do the right thing. You are respectful and act with the highest integrity. If you see something that isn’t right, you say something.
- You debate it. You ask questions to understand a perspective and are comfortable respectfully challenging assumptions. You are not turned off by constructive conflict to get to the right answer.
- You own your outcomes. You set clear ambitious goals. You anticipate obstacles, persevere, and are accountable for your commitments.
- You make fast decisions. You are an effective and timely communicator. You understand how to collaborate, compromise, and escalate when needed.
- You get better every day. You welcome the gift of feedback. You never settle in your quest to grow and develop. By being here, you make our company stronger.
WHAT YOU LOVE ABOUT US:
You’ll hear a lot about culture and perks from other companies, but we like to think of it as the XO way of life. From generous parental leave benefits to free snacks and company outings, we believe in happiness above all else—in and out of the office.
About XO Group
XO Group Inc. helps people navigate and enjoy life's biggest moments, together. Our family of multi-platform brands guide people through transformative lifestages, from getting married to moving in together and having a baby. Our brands include The Knot, the number one wedding planning resource and marketplace, The Bump, the definitive voice for millennial parents and parents-to-be, and The Nest, the go-to guide for all things home for new couples.