Where You Come In:
- Build custom solutions when off-the-shelf solutions don’t work at our ever increasing scale and contribute upstream to open source projects
- Develop tools and automate processes to provide a resilient and powerful platform for other software engineers
- Write software and documentation, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers
- Debug and solve complex issues with systems and software that power Yelp
- Use tools like Kubernetes, Terraform, Prometheus and Puppet to manage and build the underlying infrastructure on top of AWS
- Participate in a light on-call rotation, handing off to US-based teams during the night time; no getting woken up in the middle of the night by a 3am page!
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Strong knowledge of systems and application design with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs
- Fluency in Python, Golang, Java, or a similar language—familiarity with more than one is a plus
- Experience operating web-scale deployments of distributed systems, e.g., Kubernetes, Kafka, Flink, Cassandra, and Elasticsearch
- Experience using and operating Linux and containerisation technologies e.g. Docker
- The ability to tenaciously track down complex bugs and debug unfamiliar systems
- Strong understanding of operating systems, file systems, and networking
- Exposure to cloud computing services like AWS, Azure, etc.
- Understanding of configuration management tools (e.g., Puppet, Chef, Ansible) and monitoring (e.g. Sensu, Prometheus)
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and willingness to uphold Yelp’s deeply held values
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit Yelp's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.