Senior Software Engineer - Data Backend Platform (Remote)
Yelp, Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Connecting people with great local businesses
Where You Come In:
- Build, extend, and support our backend platforms to collect all trusted business data.
- Team up with other engineering groups, such as Search, Local Services, and Ads to build instant-access API’s and streaming solutions that make it easy for them to consume business data.
- Work closely with our database teams to ensure we use the right storage stack for our level of scale.
- Build tools and services that regularly monitor and ensure this data is of high quality.
- Make build-or-buy decisions that help reach our business goals.
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Fluency in an object-oriented language (like Python or Java), SQL (or NoSQL), Unix, developing within a Continuous Integration/Deployment pipeline.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- In-depth experience with building effective APIs (like REST or GraphQL)
- Comfortable with performance analysis tools (e.g. tracers, profilers, debuggers, visualization tools).
- Several years of full-time working experience.
- Comfortable working and coordinating requirements across teams.
What You’ll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- 25 days paid holiday (rising to 29 with service), plus one floating holiday.
- £150 monthly reimbursement to help cover remote working expenses.
- £75 caregiver reimbursement to support dependent care for families.
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- £56 per month to use toward qualifying wellness expenses.
- Quarterly team offsites.
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit Yelp's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.