Interested in exploring data and finding innovative ways to collect, curate, and make it easily accessible for others to use? How about doing that at scale? Yelp’s unique dataset contains billions of interactions between users and local businesses around the globe. Does working with such a vast amount of data sound exciting? Come and join us!
As a Data Engineer in the Data and Analytics Platform team at Yelp you will be responsible for building elegant and scalable data products that serve critical, up-to-date, structured information to support different types of analytics within Yelp. As a core contributor to our burgeoning data engineering efforts, you'll design and own mission-critical data pipelines to enable decision-making, all the way from enabling effective A/B testing to reporting public metrics to the Street.
Yelp engineering culture is driven by our values: we’re a cooperative team that values individual authenticity and encourages “unboring” solutions to problems. We enable all new team members to get their hands dirty in working code in their initial weeks and let them grow from there with the support of their manager, mentor, and team. At the end of the day, we’re all about helping our users, growing as engineers and scientists, and having fun in a collaborative environment.
We’d love to have you apply, even if you don’t feel you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Yelp, we’re looking for great people, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
This opportunity is fully remote and does not require you to be located in the Ottawa area. We welcome all applicants from Ontario.
Where You Come In:
- Collaborate cross functionally with other engineers and product managers to develop impactful data products.
- Contribute towards improving Yelp’s internal data processing tools and frameworks.
- Build effective and efficient data models optimized for top level reports and storage.
- Automate and abstract data processes to enable interoperability on different platforms and systems. Explore emerging trends and new technologies to continue to improve Yelp’s data engineering capabilities.
- Manage and support infrastructure-as-code with frameworks such as Terraform.
What it Takes to Succeed:
- A deep understanding of programming languages and the systems you've worked on.
- Hands-on experience with Cloud Data Warehouse (Snowflake or Redshift) and Big Data technologies (e.g S3, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Flink, Kafka etc).
- Passion for architecting large distributed systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily.
- Experience in areas relevant to data engineering, including data management, custom ETL design and data modeling.
- As a bonus, familiarity or hands on experience with ETL tools like Informatica, Snaplogic, Fivetran.
- A hunger for tracking down root causes—no matter how deep it takes you—and fixing them in systematic ways.
- Proficiency with at least one object oriented programming language.
At Yelp, we believe that diversity is an expression of all the unique characteristics that make us human: race, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, and education — and those are just a few. We recognize that diverse backgrounds and perspectives strengthen our teams and our product. The foundation of our diversity efforts are closely tied to our core values, which include “Playing Well With Others” and “Authenticity.”
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities in our job application process. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or 415-969-8488.
Note: Yelp does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Yelp is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.