Data Engineer (remote)
Yelp, Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom
Connecting people with great local businesses
Where You Come In:
- Collaborate cross functionally with other engineers and product managers to develop impactful data products.
- Contribute towards improving Yelp’s internal data processing tools and frameworks.
- Build effective and efficient data models optimized for top level reports and storage.
- Automate and abstract data processes to enable interoperability on different platforms and systems.
- Explore emerging trends and new technologies to continue to improve Yelp’s data engineering capabilities.
- Manage and support infrastructure-as-code with frameworks such as Terraform.
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Based or willing to relocate the United Kingdom
- A deep understanding of programming languages and the systems you've worked on.
- Hands-on experience with Cloud Data Warehouse (Snowflake or Redshift) and Big Data technologies (e.g S3, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Flink, Kafka etc).
- Passion for architecting large distributed systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily.
- Experience in areas relevant to data engineering, including data management, custom ETL design and data modeling.
- As a bonus, familiarity or hands on experience with ETL tools like Informatica, Snaplogic, Fivetran.
- A hunger for tracking down root causes—no matter how deep it takes you—and fixing them in systematic ways.
- Proficiency with at least one object oriented programming language.
What You’ll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially (rising to 29 with service), plus one floating holiday
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences
- £58 per month toward any wellness activity of your choice
- Quarterly team offsites
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit Yelp's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.