Principal Platform Software Engineer - Data Streams (Remote)
Yelp, Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Connecting people with great local businesses
Where You Come In:
- Build platforms that can effectively store and crunch terabytes of data and power amazing experiences for Yelp’s users 24/7 at ever increasing scale
- Learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency, and availability depending on the problem
- Participate in a light on-call rotation, handing off to US-based teams during the night time; no getting woken up in the middle of the night by a 3am page!
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Based or willing to relocate within the United Kingdom.
- Several years of relevant industry experience building large scale distributed systems
- Experience operating web-scale deployments of distributed systems such as Apache Kafka, Apache Flink, Apache Beam, Apache Spark or Kubernetes
- Mentorship experience is highly welcomed
- Experience operating TB scale data warehouse or data lake technologies such as AWS Redshift, AWS Athena / Apache Presto, AWS S3 and so on
- A deep understanding of programming languages and the systems you've worked on
- A passion for architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily
- A hunger for tracking down root causes—no matter how deep it takes you—and fixing them in systematic ways
- A love for writing beautiful code -- we use Python, Java & Scala; you don’t need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we will expect you to learn them on the job
- Comfort running services or batches in a Unix environment
- A minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or related degree
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills and willingness to uphold Yelp’s deeply held values
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially (rising to 29 with service), plus one floating holiday
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences
- £58 per month toward any wellness activity of your choice
- Quarterly team offsites
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit Yelp's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.