Engineering Manager - Distributed Systems (London)
Yelp, London, UK
Connecting people with great local businesses
What You Will Do:
- Help the team stay happy and productive by removing obstacles and optimizing team processes.
- Enjoy providing frequent constructive feedback while coaching and mentoring engineers.
- Work with the team to develop and own a product vision that you’ll communicate to the company.
- Participate in the hiring process, from scouting potential candidates to interviewing and helping close new hires.
- Monitor availability and performance of distributed systems like NoSQL Datastores.
- Scale infrastructure to meet demand while keeping an eye on cost-efficiency.
- Be willing to roll up your sleeves and debug/tune/code/fix alongside your team.
- Drive (and teach) technical incident response.
We Are Looking For:
- Previous experience as a technical lead or manager, with the empathy and communication skills to match.
- Experience with building, configuration, scaling, and monitoring distributed systems like datastores (e.g., Cassandra), messaging systems (e.g., Kafka), or resource management systems (e.g., Mesos).
- You understand how to achieve high availability, fault tolerance, performance, and disaster recovery.
- Experience using cloud computing services (AWS, Microsoft Azure, etc.)
- Mastery of Linux or Unix.
- Command of your favourite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Java, C++, etc.
- Experience with configuration management: Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt.
What We Offer:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Thursdays
- Regular 2-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Monthly personal development allowance
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, happy hours, and more!
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit Yelp's website.
Jobs You May Like
Director of Information Security
CarGurus, Cambridge, MA
Cloud Systems Engineer
Blink Health, New York City
ProsperWorks, San Francisco, CA
Senior Mechanical Engineer, Thermal Systems
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL
Full-Stack Java Developer, Social Insurance Board
Nortal, Estonia, Tallinn