Site Reliability Engineer (SRE)
Yelp, London, England, United Kingdom
Connecting people with great local businesses
Where You Come In:
- Work closely with developers in supporting new features and services
- Build tools to monitor site stability and performance
- Help scale our AWS-based infrastructure (no racking servers or swapping hard drives here!)
- Troubleshoot site issues using industry-leading tools like Splunk and SignalFX
- Automate everything with Puppet, Git, Jenkins, and Terraform
- Develop custom tools when off-the-shelf solutions don’t work at our scale and contribute upstream to open source projects
- Design new systems, tests, and procedures
- Participate in light on-call rotations - we have geographically distributed SRE teams for follow-the-sun support, which means no 2:00 AM pages!
What it Takes to Succeed:
- Mastery of Linux (we use Ubuntu but any distro is fine)
- Command of your favourite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Go, Rust, Java, C++, etc.
- A solid understanding of fundamental technologies like TCP/IP, HTTP, and DNS
- Knowledge of best practices related to security, performance, and disaster recovery
- Experience with web server configuration (Apache/Nginx/HAproxy), monitoring, trending, and high availability
- Strong scripting and automation skills
- Expertise in Configuration Management (Puppet/Ansible/Chef/etc.)
- Experience with public cloud platforms (we use AWS, but Azure/GCP are fine) and related tooling (Terraform, etc.)
- Experience with Docker or other container technologies
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, an awesome team, and a dynamic work environment
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase program
- 25 days paid holiday initially, rising to 29 with service
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays
- Regular 3-day Hackathons and weekly learning groups, always with interesting topics
- Opportunities to participate in events and conferences throughout Europe and the US
- Public transportation season ticket loan and £50 per month toward any exercise of your choice
- Central location, a fully stocked kitchen, adjustable sitting/standing desks, quarterly offsites, locally roasted coffee, happy hours, and more!
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit Yelp's website.
Magically schedule meetingsThat’s us. That’s all we think about.