Software Engineer - Backend (Search, Ads, Metrics)
Yelp, San Francisco, CA
Connecting people with great local businesses
What You Will Do:
- Build systems that can effectively store and crunch terabytes of data, and power amazing experiences for Yelp’s users.
- Learn the fine art of balancing scale, latency and availability depending on the problem.
- Work with product management and data science to identify and use data that is most relevant to the problem at hand.
- Observe the power of AI from up close but more importantly, bring it to the mass(es) of data we have at Yelp.
We Are Looking For:
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience building large scale distributed systems.
- Deep understanding of the programing languages and systems that you've worked on.
- A passion for architecting large systems with elegant interfaces that can scale easily.
- A love for writing beautiful code. We use Java & Python. You don’t need to be an expert, but experience is a plus and we will expect you to learn them on the job.
- Comfort in running services or batches in a Unix environment.
- Minimum BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Math, or related degree.
- A love for delighting Yelp’s users with experiences they shouldn’t live without.
- If you don't have at least one year of experience in a similar role, please take a look at our College Engineering roles instead!
- If you have what we are looking for above, reach out! Everything below is either something you are aware of already, or we will provide you the opportunity to learn on the job.
- Exposure to one or more technologies amongst the likes of ElasticSearch, Hadoop/MapReduce, Spark, NoSQL systems like Cassandra or AWS DB services.
- Active contributor to Open Source software.
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit http://www.yelp.com
Jobs You May Like
Engineering Manager, iOS and Android
Etsy, Brooklyn, NY
VP of Engineering
Change.org, San Francisco
Firmware Engineer - New Grad
Fitbit, US - San Francisco, San Diego, Boston
Senior Front-End Developer
Senior Software Developer - Shopify Partnerships
Checkr, San Francisco