Software Engineer - Distributed Systems
Yelp, San Francisco, CA
Connecting people with great local businesses
What You Will Do:
- Design, build and deploy software systems that run 24/7 at increasing scale.
- Develop custom tools and automate processes to find answers to challenging questions and reveal the unknown.
- Write code, document, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers.
We Are Looking For:
- Strong knowledge of systems and application design, with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs.
- Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis.
- Ability to work closely with information retrieval/machine learning experts on big-data problems.
- A hunger for tracking down root causes -- no matter how deep it takes you -- and fixing them in systematic ways.
- Strong understanding of operating systems, file systems and networking.
- Strong understanding of web technology.
- Fluency in Python, C, C++, Java, or a similar language.
- Ability to work well with and able to influence many personality types at all levels of the organization.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- If you don't have at least one year of experience in a similar role, please take a look at our College Engineering roles instead!
- Experience building large-scale distributed systems.
- Experience at a large-scale consumer internet site.
- Experience with configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, CFEngine), monitoring (Nagios, Sensu, Monit), metrics (Graphite, statsd).
- Experience with AWS.
- Experience with web frameworks.
- Interest in IR/ML techniques, and supporting systems implementing these techniques.
- Experience with Hadoop (via mrjob!), Lucene, ElasticSearch, MySQL, ReSTful web services.
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit http://www.yelp.com
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineer, New Grad
Palantir Technologies, Palo Alto, CA
Software Engineer - NLP
Quora, Mountain View, CA
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Head of Technical Operations
Moat, New York
Senior Software Engineer, Microservices Team
Updater, New York, NY
Senior Software Engineer
Etsy, Brooklyn, NY