Software Engineer - Performance
Yelp, San Francisco, CA
Connecting people with great local businesses
What You Will Do:
- Design, build and deploy software systems that run 24/7 at scale.
- Analyze metrics and code to uncover performance regressions and opportunities for optimization, and work with teams across the organization to speed things up.
- Seek out overprovisioning or wasted resources to maintain performance while keeping an eye on the bottom line.
- Write code, document, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers.
- Support the systems you’ve built in an on-call rotation split between US and EU team members.
What We Are Looking For:
- Problem solving from first principles.
- Proven ability to find and fix troublesome performance issues that span multiple systems.
- Experience exploring datasets and turning performance metrics into easily-understood data visualizations.
- Strong performance understanding of some part of the stack. (e.g. operating systems, file systems, networking, web, mobile)
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems and application design, with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs.
- Experience with cloud computing services like AWS.
- Fluency in Python, C, C++, Java, or a similar language.
- Built performance tooling to scratch your own analytics itch.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- Experience with performance analysis tools. (e.g. cprofile/pstats, flamegraphs, Chrome devtools)
- Experience with real-user/synthetic performance monitoring. (Catchpoint, Navigation / Resource Timing API, webpagetest)
- Experience working with CDNs (varnish, Fastly, Cloudflare)
- Experience integrating performance tools into Continuous Integration/Deployment pipelines
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit http://www.yelp.com
Jobs You May Like
Senior Fullstack Developer
Yotpo, Tel Aviv-Yafo
Infrastructure Quality Engineer
Palantir Technologies, London, United Kingdom
Software Engineer: Web & Mobile (Los Angeles, CA)
Oscar, Los Angeles, CA
Front End Development Lead
Senior IT Specialist
Software Engineer, Network Front End
PlayStation, Aliso Viejo, CA