Software Engineer - Performance
Yelp, San Francisco, CA
Connecting people with great local businesses
What You Will Do:
- Design, build and deploy software systems that run 24/7 at scale.
- Analyze metrics and code to uncover performance regressions and opportunities for optimization, and work with teams across the organization to speed things up.
- Seek out overprovisioning or wasted resources to maintain performance while keeping an eye on the bottom line.
- Write code, document, participate in code reviews, and mentor other engineers.
- Support the systems you’ve built in an on-call rotation split between US and EU team members.
What We Are Looking For:
- Problem solving from first principles.
- Proven ability to find and fix troublesome performance issues that span multiple systems.
- Experience exploring datasets and turning performance metrics into easily-understood data visualizations.
- Strong performance understanding of some part of the stack. (e.g. operating systems, file systems, networking, web, mobile)
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems and application design, with an understanding of operational and reliability trade-offs.
- Experience with cloud computing services like AWS.
- Fluency in Python, C, C++, Java, or a similar language.
- At least one year of full-time working experience (besides internships). If you don't have at least one year of experience in a similar role, please take a look at our College Engineering roles instead!
- Built performance tooling to scratch your own analytics itch.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- Experience with performance analysis tools. (e.g. cprofile/pstats, flamegraphs, Chrome devtools)
- Experience with real-user/synthetic performance monitoring. (Catchpoint, Navigation / Resource Timing API, webpagetest)
- Experience working with CDNs (varnish, Fastly, Cloudflare)
- Experience integrating performance tools into Continuous Integration/Deployment pipelines
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit http://www.yelp.com
Jobs You May Like
Production Engineering Internship - Summer 2018
Shopify, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo
Senior Director, Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MSAT)
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA
Senior Full Stack Engineer
Lead Fullstack Developer
Knotel, Knotel NYC
Forward Deployed Software Engineer
Palantir Technologies, Palo Alto, CA