Engineering Manager - Semantic Business Info (Remote)
Yelp, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Connecting people with great local businesses
Where You Come In:
- Manage a team of engineers focused on building new systems to ingest, store, and serve critical business information.
- Coach and mentor engineers of all experience levels, from new college graduates to senior engineers.
- Participate in the hiring process, helping to find potential candidates, interview, and close new hires.
- Foster and grow a fun, diverse, and inclusive culture that reflects Yelp’s values.
- Team up with other engineering groups to build instant-access APIs and streaming solutions that make it easy for them to consume business data.
- Work closely with our infrastructure teams to ensure we use the right systems (storage, compute, networking) for our level of scale.
- Make build-or-buy decisions that help reach our business goals.
What It Takes to Succeed:
- Previous experience as a manager with excellent people management skills and the ability to hire and grow a talented team of engineers.
- Experience building and supporting large-scale distributed systems that back a consumer app or website.
- In-depth experience with building effective APIs (like REST or GraphQL).
- Command of your favorite modern programming language: Python, Ruby, Java, Objective-C, C++, etc.
- Knowledge of database design fundamentals — when to use SQL, NoSQL, normalization, caching, and sharding.
- Comfortable with performance analysis tools (e.g., tracers, profilers, debuggers, visualization tools).
- Comfortable working and coordinating requirements across teams.
What You'll Get:
- Full responsibility for projects from day one, a collaborative team, and a dynamic work environment.
- Competitive salary with equity in the company, a pension scheme, and an optional employee stock purchase plan.
- 25 days paid holiday (rising to 29 with service), plus one floating holiday.
- £150 monthly reimbursement to help cover remote working expenses.
- £75 caregiver reimbursement to support dependent care for families.
- Private health insurance, including dental and vision.
- Flexible working hours and meeting-free Wednesdays.
- Regular 3-day Hackathons, bi-weekly learning groups, and productivity spending to support and encourage your career growth.
- Opportunities to participate in digital events and conferences.
- £56 per month to use toward qualifying wellness expenses.
- Quarterly team offsites.
Yelp connects people with great local businesses. Our users have contributed approximately 127 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more. These reviews are written by people using Yelp to share their everyday local business experiences, giving voice to consumers and bringing “word of mouth” online.
Want to learn more about Yelp? Visit Yelp's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.