The Powertrain Engineering team at Zoox is responsible for the design, development, and production of an electric powertrain specifically tailored for our autonomous mobility service. Our team has an action biased culture marked by integrity, humility, competence, and passion for the Zoox mission and the systems we design. We are building real products here and are looking for doers to join us.
As an Electrical Engineer within the Powertrain Engineering group here at Zoox you will be working and helping design the best and state of the art high voltage and low voltage electrical components such as BMS, Drive Inverter, DC to DC converter, etc. Actively participate in system design, system definition, system analysis, system behaviors and control mechanization aspects of various components of our L5 EV High Voltage Powertrain. Work cross-functionally with several amazing engineers to solve complex HV and LV EE system problems by breaking them down into more solvable problems . You will work closely with cross-functional teams to understand root causes of failures, identify mitigation strategies, and incorporate learnings into new designs.
The High Voltage Battery Engineering Lead is required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That conditional offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
- Design electrical and electronics concepts and solutions for EV powertrain both at a system level and component level.
- Evaluate powertrain HV/LV EE component supplier designs using simulation tools and engineering analysis based on first principles approach.
- Actively lead the supplier component conversations across various powertrain EE components.
- Future proof system design (tech risk assessment, trade studies) of these electrical components.
- Support system integration, DFMEA, fault tree analysis and come up with, fault diagnostics, fault handling, etc for the powertrain EE products.
- Support powertrain EE component and system testing and accurately report the findings for making engineering decisions.
- Review subsystem component designs with both internal and external design teams.
- Deep technical knowledge of HV and LV Electric Vehicles systems and subsystems including designs, modeling and simulation, materials, chemistries, and controls, seeing a product design through from concept to production and solving field issues.
- Deep understanding and experience with high voltage EV systems.
- Passion for electric, autonomous mobility and specifically EV powertrain development.
- BS or MS in electrical engineering, or related relevant field.
- 5+ years of automotive systems engineering experience related to high voltage powertrain systems (incl. energy storage and power conversion) and functional safety design approach.
- Experience with automotive communication protocols (CAN, LIN, Flexray, Ethernet, SPI, I2C) and power domains.
- Experience using simulation tools such as MATLAB/Simulink, LTSPICE, and programming tools such as Python, C and C++
- Familiarity with industry testing standards.
- SAE, MIL, UN, UL, GB/T, GTR.
- Familiarity with 3D design tools.
- High voltage and low voltage PCB design.
- Understanding of Lithium-Ion degradation and failure modes / mechanisms is a huge plus.
- Understanding concepts of EMI/C is a huge plus.
Employees working in this position will be required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus. An applicant is considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine. Applicants will be required to show proof of vaccination status upon receipt of a conditional offer of employment. That offer of employment will be conditioned upon, among other things, an Applicant’s ability to show proof of vaccination status. Please note the Company provides reasonable accommodations in accordance with applicable state, federal and local laws.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.